MAME Conventions

Galaxy_Stranger

MAME Conventions

Unread post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Hi, I just got a MiSTer and I have no idea how MAME roms work.

I've got some arcade cores to work - like Pac-Man, but a handful don't and I want to know what I'm doing wrong. The games that don't work usually say there's a file missing, but the MAME naming conventions confound me and I don't know what I'm missing.

Rush 'N Attack only has one zip file and works, just like Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. But I can't tell if any of the others require more files.

As I understand it I have to use non-merged roms, which I am.

I've setup a 256gig sd card with the utility, copied over the OS file update, then ran the update script. Then I started copying roms over.

NES, SNES and PC Engine all seem to be working fine.
Morfious

Re: MAME Conventions

Unread post by Morfious »

Look at the Update all script by Theypsilon. https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer. It will look at all of your mra files and go out to the internet and download all of the appropriate roms to make it all work. I believe you need a merged rom set to get the games files to work properly.

You can also look into the Mame-getter script to just get the roms you need/want. https://github.com/MAME-GETTER/MiSTer_MAME_SCRIPTS The update all script uses Mame-getter to grab the roms as needed.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Galaxy_Stranger wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 am Hi, I just got a MiSTer and I have no idea how MAME roms work.

I've got some arcade cores to work - like Pac-Man, but a handful don't and I want to know what I'm doing wrong. The games that don't work usually say there's a file missing, but the MAME naming conventions confound me and I don't know what I'm missing.

Rush 'N Attack only has one zip file and works, just like Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. But I can't tell if any of the others require more files.

As I understand it I have to use non-merged roms, which I am.

I've setup a 256gig sd card with the utility, copied over the OS file update, then ran the update script. Then I started copying roms over.

NES, SNES and PC Engine all seem to be working fine.
In the scripts folder is a script that will validate the MRAs and tell you if it finds the zip files it needs.

Go to your favorite collection of mame roms, and dump them in the mame directory. The names are in each MRA file, or run the script and it will tell you the file names.
Galaxy_Stranger

Unread post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going through these avenues now.