Linux Games

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
redsteakraw

Linux Games

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Hello right now we have scummVM games and Doom but I know there are a lot more we can add. This thread is for organizing and planning new Linux game releases. We have the source ports, Quake 1,2,3. Doom multiplayer via Zandronum, Descent 1+2 via Dxx Rebirth. We have the native linux games like super tux kart, gl-tron, pingus, battle for wesnoth, frogatto, OpenBOR, freeCiv, openRA, SRBKart, SRB2. We also have console games like nethack. What games would you like to see? Who else is interested in getting some of these or your favorites ported?
Fear is the mind killer!
Cebion

Re: Linux Games

Unread post by Cebion »

Please don't xD
Scummvm was ported out of necessity
redsteakraw

Cebion wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:47 pm Please don't xD
Scummvm was ported out of necessity
Why, there are some simple games that should work. Linux gaming is still gaming and preservation. I just don't know why you hate Pingus so much. ;)
Fear is the mind killer!
jdsilva

Unread post by jdsilva »

MiSTer is a hardware preservation project, not software. I would think this would fall way outside the goals of the project. Just my thoughts though.
redsteakraw

jdsilva wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:26 pm MiSTer is a hardware preservation project, not software. I would think this would fall way outside the goals of the project. Just my thoughts though.
Gaming is gaming, and if you got it flaunt it. I don't see any downsides to this beyond the work to compile and release it. There are already chess cores, and other custom cores using the Arm core for gaming shouldn't be a bad thing. It isn't like it is a powerhouse it really would only be capable of simple or older games / source ports. I don't see how this taints the project.
Fear is the mind killer!
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

The cores are not using the linux side maybe for simple stuff like overlays but that's it . I mean feel free to port some linux stuff but they're better suited on a raspberry pi than here. The arm side of the mister is really not very powerful.

I foreshadow sorgeligs comment "This is doesn't make sense and not the right hardware for this."
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Cebion wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:06 am The cores are not using the linux side maybe for simple stuff like overlays but that's it . I mean feel free to port some linux stuff but they're better suited on a raspberry pi than here. The arm side of the mister is really not very powerful.

I foreshadow sorgeligs comment "This is doesn't make sense and not the right hardware for this."
He has previously commented on the subject. And it's not what you predicted...

--> https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... e9#p375287
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

redsteakraw wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:21 pm What games would you like to see? Who else is interested in getting some of these or your favorites ported?
I would like to see Quake because it is still a long way off from being playable on ao486 - even after the recent speed improvements.

There is also already DevilutionX (Diablo) --> https://github.com/misterkun-io/MiSTer_DeViL

Not sure if there is an advantage to running that over Diablo in ao486 now (with speed improvements) except for maybe multi-player network play. Not compared yet...

I was working on OpenBOR but found performance wise it cold only run the lower resolution (mostly older) games and decided to quit messing with it. Old WIP --> https://youtu.be/HL2po3Hm1ps
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

Im All for hybrid stuff why not. But all on linux side? I don't know
redsteakraw

I am going to try to get crispyDoom first, and move on from there. X-Bill maybe after that.
Fear is the mind killer!
Coffea

Unread post by Coffea »

bbond007 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:05 am He has previously commented on the subject. And it's not what you predicted...
It still doesn't change the basic point that anything you can coax the Linux half of Mister to run, it will be both easier (requiring no special effort) and faster running on a Pi.
guddler

Unread post by guddler »

People can do what they want I guess, as long as it has a clear option in the script that a lot of people are going to be using to update their systems whether to include it in the updates or not. I personally don't really have any interest in running Linux games on the ARM side but also don't really care if people want to spend their time doing it.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

If you think there is value enough in doing this to invest your time in it, I say go ahead - it's your hardware.
But it's tangential to the original purpose of the machine, and - as has been said already - it is likely not going to look/act as good as a Raspberry Pi.

But if you are looking to get the products of your efforts deployed as official repositories, I think you're going to need to have a real value proposition before it would be accepted.
jrronimo

Unread post by jrronimo »

I like the idea of there being a "Linux Games" menu at the top of MiSTer. I like that bbond007 set up PrBoom-Plus to work with MiSTer, for instance. I'm also always down for a game of bzflag, assuming it can run. Saves me from building a Linux computer. :D

Right now, to launch PrBoom-Plus, you have to navigate to the list of Scripts and hunt through that list (which can get lengthy), which feels like the wrong place to look.

If Sorgelig doesn't want to add such a thing -- which I would totally understand -- how would one go about sticking a script on the top menu? I made a "_Linux Games" directory to get the top menu, but since it's launched by a .sh rather than a .rbf, PrBoom-Plus_2_5_1_5.sh isn't listed.
jayp76

Unread post by jayp76 »

For now you can put a Games folder inside your Scripts folder and put the launchers (PrBoom-Plus_2_5_1_5.sh) into Games folder.
It is tidier and it appears at the top of the Scripts list.
jrronimo

jayp76 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:46 pm For now you can put a Games folder inside your Scripts folder and put the launchers (PrBoom-Plus_2_5_1_5.sh) into Games folder.
It is tidier and it appears at the top of the Scripts list.
That'll work great! Thanks. :) I didn't even think about making directories in there, hah.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Are there some fun Linux games that are not PC ports? I only know SuperTux but I'm sure there's others.
jayp76

Unread post by jayp76 »

Here is the NX-Engine Cave Story port for MiSTer.

Install manually from https://archive.org/download/cave-story ... MiSTer.zip
Please check the #readme.txt in "cave" folder.

Or check my helper all-in-one scripts on github which copies installer scripts onto your Scripts/Installers Folder.
https://github.com/jayp76/MiSTer_get_op ... installers

Thanks to bbond007 and the community for inspiration.

The port is not perfect, but runs quite good with some minor slowdowns. Joypad is semi supported out of the box.
Fixing this is beyond my knowledge.
Have fun my fellow enthusiasts.
jrronimo

Thanks for getting that script together jayp76! I'll try it out a little later. I do love me some Cave Story, so this could be a fun way to revisit it.
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

I guess if someone wants to take the time to recompile linux stuff for the arm chip in the de10; go for it. It will put more stuff in the one box.

As above though you can get a Pi for cheaper, that has much stronger hardware on the ARM side, so unless your goal is truly "have as many different games in the one box" (and thinking about it, that's not such a silly end goal), it's not an ideal host platform for it.

But despite not being "ideal", its probably strong enough for a lot of stuff and you already have it running everything else so...
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

I don't see it's own thread, so hope this idea fits here. On the Linux side, of all 'games' to port, has the idea to port the Linux version of MAME been discussed?

I get it that it is not the point nor focus of the Mister project, but now there is Mistercade. Though I don't have an arcade cab, I still suppose I'd rather use my Mister than a Pi image for more arcade game access.
rsn8887

Unread post by rsn8887 »

I would love to run Nethack 3.6.6 on the console on MiSTer. I don’t think it is very demanding and there seems to be a snapstore version for Rpi already so that should be an arm executable with all dependencies statically linked? I don’t know how to download it and try it without snapstore though.

EDIT: Never mind, I found a version 3.6.5 of Nethack for MS-DOS that works perfectly on AO486.
https://github.com/chasonr/NetHack/rele ... 5_Released

The same author seems to be working on a MS-DOS 3.7.0 release already.
schlika

Unread post by schlika »

I think those Linux games running on your MiSTer is a great idea. You have one cool setup for gaming, and it does the job fine. If you don't like/want it, then don't install it and pretend there is no Linux on your MiSTer.

Unfortunately since the last round of updates all the ones I tested segfault. Probably some new kernel stuff ? Is there some doc on how to compile these ? Anybody has seen the same behaviour ?
jayp76

Unread post by jayp76 »

The CaveStory port i compiled a while ago is running when i remove "taskset" from the start shell script and use the nx binary in the script.

#[ -f ${CAVE_EXE_NAME} ] && taskset 03 ${CAVE_EXE_NAME}
/media/fat/cave/nx

The cannoball port was initially done by boogerman i think, so no dice for a fix.
The bbond007 ports have other errors that i think might be fixable by using more recent SDL libraries.
bergalon

Unread post by bergalon »

Greetings, I am a bit of a newbie with regard to debian and ran a mister "update" script which killed the library files used by prboom. Any chance someone has the necessary files from gnueabihf? I've spent an hour trying to track down "libwayland-client.so.0" and "libwayland-cursor.so.0" etc compiled for arm.

If there is an easier way I'm all ears too :) Thanks!

Edit: I tried a fresh install with a previous version of mister but update overwrote things (probably shouldn't have done automatic update)

Edit++: I tried to recompile the source for prboom but the sdl libraries have stumped me.

I really love the performance of prboom and would be super super appreciative of anyone who could share a working zip of the "arm-linux-gnueabihf" directory. Unless I'm totally mixed up :)
jayp76

Unread post by jayp76 »

@bergalon
I reinstalled prboom from bbonds install base and it is working, also ScummVM and Basilisk. Did not test DosBox.
I also got somewhat cannonball running again by pointing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to that one used in ScummVM, and the game is running, but without sound.
helset

Unread post by helset »

Hi, could you clear my doubts as to whether you can run OpenBOR games?

naxeras

Unread post by naxeras »

Most port are not working, for example devilutionX or CaveStory, Segmentation fault.
Any way to fix?