Update script problem

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
jca
Top Contributor

Update script problem

Unread post by jca »

This happened when trying the Switch to USB function.
Clean SD card installed using Mr. Fusion 2.2.
Clean USB HDD NTFS formatted.
After running the update script the directory for the GBA core created in the /media/usb0/games directory is called GBASS3E000000:100000 :shock: .
jdeberhart

Re: Update script problem

Unread post by jdeberhart »

I'd advise against using Switch to USB and instead just put your games folder there. Also, NTFS is likely going to cause issues - I highly recommend using FAT32 instead.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

jdeberhart wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:50 am I'd advise against using Switch to USB and instead just put your games folder there. Also, NTFS is likely going to cause issues - I highly recommend using FAT32 instead.
My normal setup is with only the games directory on the USB HDD formated ext4. I have been intrigued with this feature, there is no documentation, I read of some problems with scripts and config. Recently someone asked so I decided to experiment.
So far: with NTFS you cannot set files executable, to run scripts I go to the console and type bash <script name>, it works.
With ext4 the option to Switch to USB is grayed out.
Right now I updated it with the update all script, tried a few arcades. I am currently testing the Acorn Atom core will keep testing to see what kind of problems arise.
So far I have only one strange thing: after defining the buttons for a core; if I try to reload the same core later I have to first press the start button, the window showing the buttons association pops up, disappears and now I can use the buttons as I previously defined them.
Regarding the problem I encountered with the games/GBA folder I just stated the conditions I was using when it appeared. It could be very well the same thing when using just a SD card or a SD card and the games directory on a USB HDD. On my normal setup I already had these directories manually setup when I first ran the update script.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

EXT4 and NTFS are not your only options. Why not just use exFAT?

Oh nvm, only EXT4 in this instance (or other linux specific file systems) support symlinks, hrmm...
jdeberhart wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:50 am I'd advise against using Switch to USB and instead just put your games folder there. Also, NTFS is likely going to cause issues - I highly recommend using FAT32 instead.
As I found out looking into it slightly more exFAT doesn't support symbolic links, so jca's problem being related to symlinks is not going to be resolved this way. However, it seems like this kind of use-case (symlinking on non-ext4 partitions with switch to usb, etc... - viewtopic.php?t=322) is not supported by the MiSTer project's design, so by going outside of the intended use jca is gonna have to come up with homegrown solutions, unless the linux side is updated significantly.
birdybro~
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

The problem I mentioned is not a symlink problem: the games/GBA directory is created with the wrong name.
Regarding symlinks: it looks like it is not a problem with NTFS: when I ran the update all script, installed the organizer and it works.
Using WinSCP everything looks like links.
Attachments
Symlinks.jpg
Symlinks.jpg (447.91 KiB) Viewed 2393 times