Raspbian on de10-nano

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
numbski

Raspbian on de10-nano

Unread post by numbski »

I am very new to mister. I am aware the mister is less powerful when it comes to the arm cpu than a raspberry pi, and that we are building on top of the Linux provided by Terrasic.

The worm in my brain though is loading raspbian onto an sd card, then trying to build the fpga stuff on top of that, leaving one with all of the benefits of raspbian (primarily package manager) while still being able to use Mister. I did a fair amount of searching and didn’t find any references to it, so I don’t know if it has already been attempted or not.

If not, and there’s no obvious reason it wouldn’t work, I am thinking of taking a stab at it.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: Raspbian on de10-nano

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Because MiSTer is not about Linux. It doesn't need neither long time to start nor safe shutdown procedure.
Linux lovers are welcome to use Raspberry Pi.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I... feel the urge to respond, but I won't. Have a like Sorg :mrgreen:
uigiflip

Unread post by uigiflip »

No point in this. The arm cores on de 10 nano is like pi2 performance this a fpga system for fpga simulation's.
Ultimate MiSTer Blissbox pro version, Replay Vidor version, Replay 2, Real Amiga's 500+, 500+ with pi storm, a1200 in cd32 special edition case. https://www.twitch.tv/uigiflip
numbski

Unread post by numbski »

It only came up for me wanting to load some packages. If there’s no benefit I won’t bother. Things like aria2 might be nice to have on board though.
numbski

Unread post by numbski »

I lied a bit. It was mDNS that I was thinking of that had me looking for a package manager. For grins I did take raspbian on an sdcard and attempt booting it. Looks like it either doesn't fully boot, or if it does it isn't driving the hdmi output, and the UART port doesn't show up on my laptop - so that idea may be DOA anyway.
cptmadness

Unread post by cptmadness »

Apparently you can run desktop linux with a GUI, it's in the wiki under "extra features".

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ktop-Linux
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Raspbian kernel is build for specific CPU used in Raspberry. It won't start on de10-nano. As already mentioned, there is LXDE Linux for MiSTer which is basically Ubuntu 16.04 with package manager. Mostly useless.
desin24

Unread post by desin24 »

i have got this running

https://www.digikey.com/eewiki/display/ ... 0-Nano+Kit

but i cant start x11 /FB
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Sorgelig wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:01 pm Raspbian kernel is build for specific CPU used in Raspberry. It won't start on de10-nano. As already mentioned, there is LXDE Linux for MiSTer which is basically Ubuntu 16.04 with package manager. Mostly useless.
This does not seem to work anymore? Or maybe I installed it wrong. I have been trying to test some Linux software on the MiSTer. Mainly because I want to try to benchmark what might be done with hybrid stuff like with the Minimig core but maybe for the AO486 core.

Bbond once installed DOSBox on the MiSTer, so I have been thinking I would like to try that to see how that performs, even though it wont be much to go by. I am pretty sure Linux on the MiSTer used to have a package manager? Or maybe that was only after I installed LXDE?

Since its a custom kernel on the MiSTer I am having a hard time figuring out what commands to use to install stuff on the Linux side. I know not to do something like "update-all", did that mistake when I tried LXDE over a year ago :P
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

There is no package manager on the MiSTer. You could always graft dpkg on there yourself, but for the most part you just compile and drop your binaries on there manually.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Bas wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:17 pm There is no package manager on the MiSTer. You could always graft dpkg on there yourself, but for the most part you just compile and drop your binaries on there manually.
Graft it? Would it maybe be possible to copy binaries for it to the MiSTer or by graft you mean compiling my own version of its Linux stuff?
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

You'll need to make sure that any libraries it depends on are also present in the right versions. I haven't done the work after Sorg shot the whole topic down very decisively some months ago.
foft

Unread post by foft »

Which rbf file do we need for Linux, to provide fbdev video via the scalar?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

foft wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:42 pm Which rbf file do we need for Linux, to provide fbdev video via the scalar?
MENU.RBF (F9)
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I got LXDE to work... I am a bit confused about these Linux versions but they seem to be different. But I also remember doing an "apt get update all" in LXDE and ending up stopping the MiSTer from booting. Or maybe the Linux on the MiSTer used to have APT GET and such?

At any rate... could it be possible to use LXDE to download f.ex. DOSBox, and then copy the libraries and such from LXDE to some shared folders and use it with the MiSTer Linux?