Cannot write to `/root` directory

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
aedryan

Cannot write to `/root` directory

Unread post by aedryan »

I'm trying to SSH into the Mister using VSCode and/or with an RSA identity but I find that whenever I try to write a file anywhere into `/root/`, I get a no space left on device error. I've tried adding a new user for myself to access the Mister in various ways but the command doesn't exist. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I'm not a Linux expert but I've had success reading manuals and roughing my way through when needed but I can't seem to figure this one out.
aedryan

Re: Cannot write to `/root` directory

Unread post by aedryan »

I may be answering my own question in some way here but I noticed the `ftp` user in the `/home` directory and haven't fiddled with it yet but may be able to use that for these purposes but any idea if there's a way to add users through the CLI?
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
aedryan

Unread post by aedryan »

I'm trying to find a better way to SSH into the Mister and wondering why write access to the root directory seems restricted and not just restricted by permissions but by some disk space allocations.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

The mister/uboot setup boots and then mounts the root filesystem from an image file, that's why it's "full"

If you want to transfer files to the mister, transfer them to /media/fat or a mounted usb drive. The root filesystem may or may not have room