How to migrate to larger SD card

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
RascalUK

How to migrate to larger SD card

Unread post by RascalUK »

Morning guys, not a newcomer but about to embark on something I haven't done before.

I want to use a bigger size Micro-SD card so I can fit he DOS games on, so I need to go from my current 64GB to a larger one. What's the easiest way to do this? How do I clone my current card and then take advantage of the extra space on the new card, or is it best to just start from scratch then copy over all my configs/roms etc?

Any advice appreciated.

Paul
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: How to migrate to larger SD card

Unread post by bazza_12 »

i'm sure there is a proper way to do it.. but i formatted the new sdcard, installed mister, then copied the folders from the other card onto it.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

You can do it as bazza_12 states above, which would be the cleanest way to do it.

The other option would be to use a program to create an image of your SD card and then put the image on the new card.

I did this a few months ago, but don't recall the name of the program. I believe there was another thread asking specifically about creating the SD card image and the link was in that one.

Here's the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1827&p=16213#p16213

It's called "Win32 Disk Imager"
thera34

Unread post by thera34 »

I use Win32 Disk imager usually to make image copies from my SD cards (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/) and also writing them back to other cards.
Never tried, but after migrating to a larger SD , a resize might be in order ? Think it was something similar in Raspberry Pi's distros

edit:
@kfreiberg: Yeah, that one, didn't see your edit

I dunno for MiSTer, if it works similar to RPI (http://cagewebdev.com/raspberry-pi-expa ... e-sd-card/) when migrating from an SD to a bigger one. Did it for a RetroPie setup once sometime ago.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I just upgraded to a 512GB card.

I first used Syncback Free to copy all files from my old card to a PC. Then I formatted a new card with Mr. Fusion, ran the updater script, and finally copied the files into the new card.

You don't have to use Syncback (manual copy or SFTP is fine) but it was convenient to use it as it detects file conflicts before copying.
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

I also upgraded to a 512gb card .. but my image was an old old old like 1.0 era setup.. so I opted to start clean, used mr fusion to setup the new card, ran update_all script then just copied back the "game" disks/rom/vhds .. I still need to fix up stuff like Basilisk II and PrDoom etc..
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Yes, to start (relatively) fresh you can just copy the /games/ folder.
But I'd also suggest to include these to avoid having to reconfigure your controllers:
  • /config/
  • /fonts/
  • /games/
  • /wallpapers/
  • /saves/
  • /savestates/
  • /screenshots/
For saves, I highly suggesting setting up the script to backup to google drive... it's a bit technical but worth the effort.
I have more than 1 MiSTer and with this I can move my saves around really easily.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

ericgus09 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am I also upgraded to a 512gb card .. but my image was an old old old like 1.0 era setup.. so I opted to start clean, used mr fusion to setup the new card, ran update_all script then just copied back the "game" disks/rom/vhds .. I still need to fix up stuff like Basilisk II and PrDoom etc..
i find this is a good idea too, cos you tend to build up a lot of unnecessary files, mame/hbmame zips, old cores etc.. nice to have a clear out..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

bazza_12 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:13 am
ericgus09 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am I also upgraded to a 512gb card .. but my image was an old old old like 1.0 era setup.. so I opted to start clean, used mr fusion to setup the new card, ran update_all script then just copied back the "game" disks/rom/vhds .. I still need to fix up stuff like Basilisk II and PrDoom etc..
i find this is a good idea too, cos you tend to build up a lot of unnecessary files, mame/hbmame zips, old cores etc.. nice to have a clear out..
Yea it was time and I was long overdue the card was messy with all the directory changes over the years .. eg boot.rom .. before that things had to go in the root directory etc..