Date Time Not Appearing in Menu Core

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Miguel T80c

Date Time Not Appearing in Menu Core

Unread post by Miguel T80c »

I have the timzone file in /fat/LINUX/ which I have generated several times with the script and also manually, but the date and time still does not appear. Of course It's conected a network and internet.

I only get the date and time launching the TRC script (I have not this addon) but when I restart I have to run it again if I want to see this information again.

That could be happening?

Attachments
IMG_20210421_103618.jpg
IMG_20210421_103618.jpg (345.68 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
mikaeltarquin

Re: Date Time Not Appearing in Menu Core

Unread post by mikaeltarquin »

Did you ever find a solution to this? The same thing is happening to me now after a move and equipment change. Connected to a unifi switch and dream machine pro instead of my ISP router like before. Not sure if the network change was the cause or not.
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Date Time Not Appearing in Menu Core

Unread post by Malor »

Normally, the Mister runs NTP to set the clock; the time should appear within about 20 seconds after the network comes online. The daemon is launched by the file /etc/init.d/S49ntp, which in turn gets its settings from /etc/ntp.conf. Check that both those files exist.

The file /etc/ntp.conf should look roughly like this:

Code: Select all

server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 3.pool.ntp.org iburst

# Allow only time queries, at a limited rate, sending KoD when in excess.
# Allow all local queries (IPv4, IPv6)
restrict default nomodify nopeer noquery limited kod
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict [::1]
The four 'server' settings up top are where NTP chooses a target server. The 'iburst' argument means to do several quick queries to get a fast initial sync. If you add a manual server, make sure to include that, or your time to reach sync will be much longer.

If all that looks right, then the next thing to check is DNS. Try pinging some sites by both IP and name and see if that works. If it doesn't, your /etc/resolv.conf may not be set correctly. (It's supposed to be configured by the DHCP daemon, so any manual edits you make will normally be erased the next time the DHCP server renews its reservation.) The NTP daemon is looking up sites by name, so if name resolution doesn't work, no sync will happen.