System backup without removing SD card

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

System backup without removing SD card

Unread post by Alkadian »

Guys,

I have been backing up my SD card on another Linux machine via the rsync command, pretty much on weekly basis. A few days ago while re-inserting the SD card back into the slot on the DE-10 board I have noticed the spring mechanism didn't like to be pushed and I have had to fiddle several times before managing to re-insert the card back in its slot. Now, I have read in another thread in this forum that this slot is very fragile and can be easily damaged (as every other SD card slot on any device, I suppose). So my question is, can someone please advise on the best way to copy/clone the entire SD card without actually removing it from the board? Shall I connect an external USB drive to the DE-10 and then rsync to it?

Many thanks!
taz07rx

Re: System backup without removing SD card

Unread post by taz07rx »

The data are stored in /media/fat so rsync over ssh can be a good option

From a linux machine I use this command that you can adapt to your env : rsync -avh root@IP:/media/fat/ /mnt/mister_backup/
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

taz07rx wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 am The data are stored in /media/fat so rsync over ssh can be a good option

From a linux machine I use this command that you can adapt to your env : rsync -avh root@IP:/media/fat/ /mnt/mister_backup/
Great, thanks for confirming. I will proceed on that basis then!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Is it possible to backup just the MiSTer's "system", not the entire SD card, being on Windows? I mean, I know I can just copy the visible directories (sans roms), but there is still some invisible stuff which matters?
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

akeley wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:10 am Is it possible to backup just the MiSTer's "system", not the entire SD card, being on Windows? I mean, I know I can just copy the visible directories (sans roms), but there is still some invisible stuff which matters?
If you’re in Windows you could just use samba share. Edit your smb config file on the MiSTer and make a share for the root directory.