MiSTer device will no longer allow me to FTP

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Captain FPGA

MiSTer device will no longer allow me to FTP

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Before you guys ask yes I triple checked the IP address made sure it matched the MiSTers, the username is root, password is 1, and I made the port 22. I can't get it to work for SCP or SSH. What makes this even weirder is I can run online capable scripts on there just fine. My WiFi arcs out to download things from update all, well... basically ALL the time.

You guys think it's a problem with my router this is the second or third time this has happened to me.
Dreams don't die!
desin24

Re: MiSTer device will no longer allow me to FTP

Unread post by desin24 »

what's working for me
Mister - > PC (Linux)
F9 console -> login
mc
F9 -> Left -> SFTP link -> username@machine -> Password

hope it helps
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

You don't need to set a specific port.

Try clearing that (leave it blank) and see how it goes.
Captain FPGA

desin24 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:02 pm what's working for me
Mister - > PC (Linux)
F9 console -> login
mc

hope it helps
The last two parts are where you lose me.

What does mc stand for? better question is where do I type that in?

EDIT: Just tried to login via F9. It will let me login to the Mister using the usual login credentials. It took me to #root\ I guess the question there is how would I get it to FTP from there with my PC?

Not 100% sure I even want to use this method since I'm so used to loging in with Filezilla and WinSCP. Although I appreciate you at least trying to help.
lamarax wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:03 pm You don't need to set a specific port.

Try clearing that (leave it blank) and see how it goes.
Tried that already didn't work. :cry:

I really am beginning to wonder if it's my wifi adapter.
Dreams don't die!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

At first I did not understand as using F9 brings you to the MISTer Linux console, normally I FTP from the PC to MISTer but desin24 says: MISTer -> PC (Linux). It means he is FTPing from MISTer to his PC.
A quick internet search says mc = Midnight Commander.
If you type mc at the console Midnight Commander will start , inside mc press F9, a menu will appear on the top of the screen and the leftmost item is called Left, navigate there and press enter, a drop down menu appears and you can select FTP Link which will allow you to FTP into your PC. I guess you need to have an FTP server running on your PC.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I just installed Filezilla server on my Windows PC but so far I did not manage to configure it properly to be able to FTP from MISTer. I did not try too hard as using WinSCP on Windows to FTP into MISTer is a lot easier and my PC is next to my MISTer. I may try at a later time as it is an interesting solution and I learned something.
This solution has the advantage of doing everyting on MISTer: I use wireless KB both on my PC and MISTer; when I use WinSCP I frequently type on the wrong KB.
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

I recently had a problem develop with my mister - I was moving some files over by samba and the transfer failed partway through. After that, samba didn’t work at all, and though I could connect by FTP, any attempt to transfer something larger than 256kb would fail. The mister itself was still able to connect to the internet.

I spent a little time trying to figure it out but eventually decided it would be quicker to just start over, so I copied off my game saves and controller configs and stuff and then reflashed my SD card with the mister fusion image, ran that through the mister, copied my files back, and ran update all. Took a little while but my network is working now. If, like me, you have very little idea how networking works, this is probably quicker and easier than figuring out and fixing the exact cause of the problem.
Captain FPGA

desin24 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:02 pm what's working for me
Mister - > PC (Linux)
F9 console -> login
mc

hope it helps
Thanks to you I now know how to remote into my Mister device. Noticed there aren't a lot of guides for this on Google and the ones that do exist are too vague for my taste; I got about as far as the username@machine. Can it be any name? They asking what's the name of my computer (which has a custom name), the brand name or the name of my WiFi network? Also the way you wrote that username@machine... does this mean I should put whatever name it is followed by @machine?

I feel like we're getting close to a solution here. Assuming this works I don't mind remoting into my Mister and FTPing TO my PC and moving/deleting/copying files from there.
Yim wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:29 am I recently had a problem develop with my mister - I was moving some files over by samba and the transfer failed partway through. After that, samba didn’t work at all, and though I could connect by FTP, any attempt to transfer something larger than 256kb would fail. The mister itself was still able to connect to the internet.

I spent a little time trying to figure it out but eventually decided it would be quicker to just start over, so I copied off my game saves and controller configs and stuff and then reflashed my SD card with the mister fusion image, ran that through the mister, copied my files back, and ran update all. Took a little while but my network is working now. If, like me, you have very little idea how networking works, this is probably quicker and easier than figuring out and fixing the exact cause of the problem.
Yeahhhhh if you told me that a week ago I'd of dumped then started from scratch. Between GBA, AO486, a slow internet connection, and a bunch of scripts being ran. You'd be surprised the amount of crap you could download in 1 week. I'm close to 1TB worth. Starting over now would be, well an unpleasant experience.
Dreams don't die!
thera34

Unread post by thera34 »

Out of curiosity, have you tried using an ethernet cable instead of Wifi dongle ?
I have my MiSTer connected with cable, static IP reservation on router and no issues at all while connecting to it from my Windows PC.
As for SSH/SFTP client, I use SecureCRT/SecureFX bundle, no issues encountered.
Captain FPGA

thera34 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:10 am Out of curiosity, have you tried using an ethernet cable instead of Wifi dongle ?
I have my MiSTer connected with cable, static IP reservation on router and no issues at all while connecting to it from my Windows PC.
As for SSH/SFTP client, I use SecureCRT/SecureFX bundle, no issues encountered.
The router is in another family members room one floor down and it's a big house. Ethernet is out of the question for me unfortunately. The only thing I haven't tried yet is changing the IP address to static. Last time I did that though it fucked with my Overwatch ranked matches, I kept dropping out of games. Maybe I'll try going to static anyway especially if the MC thing doesn't work out.

The type of adapter I'm using is this. When it's connected to my old computer it glows blue. When it's hooked up to the Mister it's orange. It let me FTP for a while though from PC and it works great when connecting to the internet and accepting online items coming into the Mister.
WiFi Adapter
WiFi Adapter
20210617_041743.jpg (7.13 MiB) Viewed 6307 times
Dreams don't die!
thera34

Unread post by thera34 »

I'm not familiar much with wifi adapters, rarely using wireless connections. But yes, Orange/amber light usually reports an issue.
Maybe try to set it to use only 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz and see if you get any more disconnections ?
Another idea is to check if you have (and can) update adapter's firmware ? Might be a solution, might be not, some cases I saw they resolved it that way.
Also, some logs from Linux side would be useful to further troubleshoot (maybe some Linux gurus here can help out here ? )

L.E. Tha's a Netgear adapter ?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

If you are on windows can you try to enter

//and the IP Adress of your MiSTer into the explorer bar of Windows?

It should look like this

"//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

This should take you to the fat portion of you MiSTer.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am If you are on windows can you try to enter

It should look like this

"//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Are you sure it will work out of the box?
Shouldn't it be \\ instead of //?
With my PC I have no problem with SSH and FTP to MISTer.
If I do like you said it opens a web browser and I get unable to connect.
If I use \\ instead of // the connection is refused which makes sense as there should be some form of authentication.
May be Samba has to be enabled.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

jca wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:54 am
Chris23235 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am If you are on windows can you try to enter

It should look like this

"//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Are you sure it will work out of the box?
Shouldn't it be \\ instead of //?
With my PC I have no problem with SSH and FTP to MISTer.
If I do like you said it opens a web browser and I get unable to connect.
If I use \\ instead of // the connection is refused which makes sense as there should be some form of authentication.
May be Samba has to be enabled.
// is correct. Don't use your Web-Browser use the Windows Explorer.

I am not at home to test it, but it should work, at least for me it did last time I tried it (ususally I use FileZilla). You also should have MiSTer under network in Windows.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

No, if I use // in file explorer it starts the web browser.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Yes you are right \\ not //.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

What about enabling Samba on MISTer?
Captain FPGA

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:25 pm Yes you are right \\ not //.
Tried it in both browser and explorer doesn't do anything. I know what you guys are trying to get at though. I FTPed into my OG XBOX at one point using that method.

I'll try Samba if the next two suggestions fail.
thera34 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am I'm not familiar much with wifi adapters, rarely using wireless connections. But yes, Orange/amber light usually reports an issue.
Maybe try to set it to use only 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz and see if you get any more disconnections ?
Another idea is to check if you have (and can) update adapter's firmware ? Might be a solution, might be not, some cases I saw they resolved it that way.
Also, some logs from Linux side would be useful to further troubleshoot (maybe some Linux gurus here can help out here ? )

Correct I believe it is Netgear. I'll try updating the firmware for the adapter on my old pc since it doesn't have internet. If that doesn't work then it's Samba time. I'd prefer changing the Ghz as a last resort since from what I've read it may involve messing with the Misters BIOS.

I was hoping to try the first suggestion Destin, though since I was making progress. I was able to login to Mister through Midnight Commander, assuming I can FTP through there I'd be cool with that if I could get it to work. I simply need to know what they mean by username@machine. If anyone knows what that even means please fill me in? How do I fill it out? Do I put the name of my PC or Wifi then @machine? I feel like the rest is easy if I can get passed that part.
Dreams don't die!
desin24

Unread post by desin24 »

user@machine
user = username on the host machine
machine = hostname or ip
root@mister
king@192.168.178.1
mc uses F1 for help

hope it helps
desin24

Unread post by desin24 »

PC (Windows) -> Mister
Get WINSCP
new Session
[img]file:///home/two/Bilder/WinSCP.PNG[/img]

Password = 1
accept key

hope it helps
Attachments
WinSCP.PNG
WinSCP.PNG (13.54 KiB) Viewed 6153 times
Captain FPGA

desin24 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:05 pm PC (Windows) -> Mister
Get WINSCP
new Session
[img]file:///home/two/Bilder/WinSCP.PNG[/img]

Password = 1
accept key

hope it helps
Update:

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. I tried my login name for PC plus the IP address to login from Mister and it failed. Perhaps this method isn't for me after all. Well I'm glad I tried thanks for showing me!
thera34 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am I'm not familiar much with wifi adapters, rarely using wireless connections. But yes, Orange/amber light usually reports an issue.

So it dawned on me that my router has the 5Ghz setting which is automatic. Sorry for confusing that for something related to the Misters BIOS I had no idea Mister was one of those 5Ghz devices like the Xbox One. I'll look up a guide on how to force 5Ghz out of the Mister.

Btw the type of router I have is a NETGEAR Dual Band Adapter. I just discovered the orange light simply means 2.4 Ghz, blue means 5 Ghz. I gotta get it to recognize the Mister as 5!
Dreams don't die!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

I have no idé here!
But doesn't the usb wifi adapter set/dictate what band is avalible? 2,4/5 that is. And then the settings for everything is done trough the driver so mister or ubuntu on a 11900K/3080TI should not matter at all?

Before/when/after the mister ftp stopped working did you update/change/replaced ANYTHING?
Sure if you replaced the empty toiletpapper roll in the left most upstairs left wing tower is probably not that important :mrgreen:

Asking for i have needed to open ports in my router for FTP before, but works without that on my pfsense router now.
So if you changed router then that could be it!
Captain FPGA

grizzly wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:44 am I have no idé here!
But doesn't the usb wifi adapter set/dictate what band is avalible? 2,4/5 that is. And then the settings for everything is done trough the driver so mister or ubuntu on a 11900K/3080TI should not matter at all?

Before/when/after the mister ftp stopped working did you update/change/replaced ANYTHING?
Sure if you replaced the empty toiletpapper roll in the left most upstairs left wing tower is probably not that important :mrgreen:

Asking for i have needed to open ports in my router for FTP before, but works without that on my pfsense router now.
So if you changed router then that could be it!
Did I change anything not that I'm aware of? Everything was status quo IIRC.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Mister wallpaper script and sam attract mode script were the last two things I added. I'll disable those and see what happens.
Dreams don't die!
desin24

Unread post by desin24 »

power up your Mister
F9
type
dmesg | grep usb > usb.txt
enter
type
ifconfig > if.txt
enter
fire up mc
open usb.txt , look for errors

if possible post both files here

hope it helps
Captain FPGA

desin24 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:26 am power up your Mister
F9
type
dmesg | grep usb > usb.txt
enter
type
ifconfig > if.txt
enter
fire up mc
open usb.txt , look for errors

if possible post both files here

hope it helps
I'm in. How am I to post the files? Is it as simple as ejecting my SD card and plugging into the computer and grab the files that way? I get the feeling it won't be that easy.

For now I'll post screenshots.

I'll look for errors as best I can
Dreams don't die!
Captain FPGA

desin24 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:26 am if possible post both files here

hope it helps
Got the files! Learned how to copy inside of Midnight Commander along the way.

https://mega.nz/file/3noxnKRY#LJW_TJBHW ... VLJaxgr-4g
https://mega.nz/file/D3gTSCQY#AOuCfNivr ... Yxgdw-T96Y

I trust this may lead to a solution.
Dreams don't die!
desin24

Unread post by desin24 »

if.txt
wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.0.0.48 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.0.0.255
ether a0:63:91:84:35:61 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 187 bytes 15814 (15.4 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 197 bytes 19050 (18.6 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
looks ok
maybe run the wifi script again ( Mister->ESC->Scripts->wifi )

usb.txt
[ 1.304460] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0846, idProduct=9012, bcdDevice= 1.01
[ 1.304479] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 1.304485] usb 1-1.2: Product: WNDA4100
[ 1.304492] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: NETGEAR
[ 1.304497] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 1.0
[ 1.382285] usb 1-1.2: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc2
strange behavior resetting

[ 5.585049] usb 1-1.6: Manufacturer: BLISS-BOX
[ 5.049144] usb 1-1.6: USB disconnect, device number 7
[ 6.352748] usb 1-1.7: Manufacturer: BLISS-BOX
[ 5.817050] usb 1-1.7: USB disconnect, device number 8
have you tried without the bliss-box ?

hope it helps a bit
Captain FPGA

desin24 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:35 pm if.txt
wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.0.0.48 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.0.0.255
ether a0:63:91:84:35:61 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 187 bytes 15814 (15.4 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 197 bytes 19050 (18.6 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
looks ok
maybe run the wifi script again ( Mister->ESC->Scripts->wifi )

usb.txt
[ 1.304460] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0846, idProduct=9012, bcdDevice= 1.01
[ 1.304479] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 1.304485] usb 1-1.2: Product: WNDA4100
[ 1.304492] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: NETGEAR
[ 1.304497] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 1.0
[ 1.382285] usb 1-1.2: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc2
strange behavior resetting

[ 5.585049] usb 1-1.6: Manufacturer: BLISS-BOX
[ 5.049144] usb 1-1.6: USB disconnect, device number 7
[ 6.352748] usb 1-1.7: Manufacturer: BLISS-BOX
[ 5.817050] usb 1-1.7: USB disconnect, device number 8
have you tried without the bliss-box ?

hope it helps a bit
You mean like disassembling the whole Mister and connecting just the Nano for testing? I don't have a USB hub only the Bliss-Box. Thought that would be all I needed. Does MC even work without the I/O and Blisster? Incase I wanted to run this test again without Blisster.

Btw tried to FTP from my laptop earlier but it was epic fail. The source problem could be related to my Wifi adapter. It was encorauging though seeing it behave correctly on the first line of tests. I'm buying another Wifi adapter from Mister Ultimate early next month. In the meantime what might you suggest I do?
Dreams don't die!
Captain FPGA

Finally a break-through!

So, after carefully retracing my steps with a few days worth of cycling through of broken memory fragments. I finally remembered what happened the moment before the thing stopped working! It was the Windows Firewall PROMPT. The prompt appeared while I was on a rom website, I probably mistook it for a virus and hit do not allow or whatever the fuck it said. The words scrolled by so fast I reflexively trusted it, thinking a virus attack to be imminent (never doing that again) afterwards I couldn't get the FTP anywhere to work at all no matter how often I tried. I blamed everything from the Mister, to the router, to my adapter while completely forgetting about the firewall prompt.

When I figured this out, I systematically cycled through all the allowed apps through my exceptions list. I enabled a couple that I thought related to Filezilla, WinSCP, and Putty but nothing there worked. So I reset all Windows Firewall defaults and PRESTO! I'm finally FTPed into my Mister.

I hope this thread can help others who run into the same kind of problem. If all else fails after repeated FTP DO NOT wipe your SD card and start over. Instead reset your Firewall defauits. You may need to re-enable network drives and media player but trust me it's worth it.
Dreams don't die!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Been there done that!
More then once over the years.

A bit off topic now but could be helpful?
It has been probably over 15 years since i "used" windows firewall for anything.
I started using https://tinywall.pados.hu/ that worked very well but started being updated less and less.
So about 3-4 years ago searched around and tried three (i think) other "firewalls" they worked from ok (mostly that i did not like the GUI) to very well.

Have forgotten the other two programs but is probably easy to google and find.
What i have used since is Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control https://binisoft.org/ (and yes that is the right url have no idé why they do not have it on malwarebyte.com?)

And YES Windows Firewall Control as in it IS using windows firewall and tinywall did too, so technically i lied :mrgreen:
What i meant by have not used windows firewall was windows own awfully crappy totally user alienated interface/GUI :evil:

One tip if anyone try malwarebytes firewall and if some program do not get a network connection is to open WFC=windows firewall control and click on the suitcase icon that is the second icon at the bottom.
Which is the connection log after opening the log window press refresh and you can depending on what you have selected see blocked/allowed connections, and if you rightclick on one blocked connection "line" you can easily choose allow this.
MUCH7much faster and easier then going into the sewer that is windows own interface/GUI!

Have to say it works really well is easy to use and understand!