MiSTer Wifi dead (BlisSTer set-up)

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Captain FPGA

MiSTer Wifi dead (BlisSTer set-up)

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

I used to get wifi signals all the time. Ever since I picked up a new Mister wifi adapter from the usual Mister websites it stopped working.

I've already tried the following. :(

1.) I've already opened and edited the wpa_supplicant.conf file to reflect my wifi network.

As seen in this 1:38 second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jx2BKybPdI

2.) I tried two different wifi's, both a Mister approved one and my netgear one.

3.) Tested both wifis on another computer. They worked on the other machine.

4.) Tried different usb ports on the BlisSTer.

5.) Installed Mr. Fusion on a whole nother micro sd card.

6.) Tried refreshing my wifi network.

7.) Updated my Mister firmware using ethernet.

8.) Ran the wifi script.

None of these fixed the problem.

While neither wifi tool is working, it's worth mentioning that everything else I plug into the usb ports are recognized (keyboards, usb controllers, blutooth, etc.) so I'm wondering if there's a simple configuration that I am missing? I'm aware Misters wifi can be fiickle but after a few weeks you'd think it would adjust itself.

It's like no matter what I do the thing insists on not working. This whole thing started ever since I plugged my mister approved blutooth adapter with the new recommended wifi dongle. Soon as I plugged that in the wifi waves appeared for a few seconds then disappeared, tt's been weeks and I haven't been able to get them back. I'm in the type of situation where my router is in someone else's room and I paid good money for this wifi adapter. Are there any steps that I'm missing here?

One other thing I am getting another wifi dongle to try on this thing courtesy of the seller. Who's been very generous and helpful. But in the meantime if I can find a fix for this that would be ideal.
Dreams don't die!
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer Wifi dead (BlisSTer set-up)

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Try only plugging in the Wifi dongle. I.e Nothing else at all as they are sensitive to voltage drop.
Captain FPGA

FPGA64 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 pm Try only plugging in the Wifi dongle. I.e Nothing else at all as they are sensitive to voltage drop.
Tried it, failed.
Dreams don't die!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Tried the dongels on another computer?
So you know they do work!
Captain FPGA

grizzly wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:52 pm Tried the dongels on another computer?
So you know they do work!
Yes. In fact I think I hinted at this earlier when I said it's probably something weird going on with my configuration. I'm not sure yet that my nano went bad nor my blisster is failing.

I'm wondering if there's a switch or button I need to hit on the mister. I remember before my whole wifi issue I was trying to pair my bluetooth dongle with my Xbox One controller and I wound up hitting the bluetooth pairing button on the mister, after using the bluetooth script and then failing to pair a few times.

What else could be done here?
Dreams don't die!
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Are you sure WPA_supplicant has Unix Line endings

Also make sure the Password and SSID are in Quotes
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

What do you see when you open a Linux console, plug in the dongle, and then give the dmesg command? It should show a few lines at the end of output about detecting a USB networking device.
Captain FPGA

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:59 am Are you sure WPA_supplicant has Unix Line endings

Also make sure the Password and SSID are in Quotes
20210725-095858.jpg
20210725-095858.jpg (223.61 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

Let me know if this looks right. The only thing I remember altering in the conf was the Wifi name and pass.
Bas wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:11 am What do you see when you open a Linux console, plug in the dongle, and then give the dmesg command? It should show a few lines at the end of output about detecting a USB networking device.
How do I do that? I know a little bit of Mister commands but not a lot. For instance I know how to access midnight commander.
Dreams don't die!
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

When you first power on or hard reset your Mister and the main osd comes up, press F9.
Login, insert your WiFi dongle and then type dmesg. It will display some log information and at the very end it should have information about the WiFi dongle.
As for making sure the wpa_supplicant file has Unix endings, at the command prompt type:

Code: Select all

file /media/fat/linux/wpa_supplicant
It should return wpa_supplicant.conf: ASCII text.
If it returns wpa_supplicant.conf: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators,
then it's in dos format and you'll have to convert it to unix format with this command:

dos2unix /media/fat/linux/wpa_supplicant.conf
Captain FPGA

Flandango wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:44 pm When you first power on or hard reset your Mister and the main osd comes up, press F9.
Login, insert your WiFi dongle and then type dmesg. It will display some log information and at the very end it should have information about the WiFi dongle.
As for making sure the wpa_supplicant file has Unix endings, at the command prompt type:

file /media/fat/linux/wpa_supplicant
It should return wpa_supplicant.conf: ASCII text.
If it returns wpa_supplicant.conf: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators,
then it's in dos format and you'll have to convert it to unix format with this command:

dos2unix /media/fat/linux/wpa_supplicant.conf
Okay, so far I unhooked the wifi before typing in dmesg and this is what I got. Something about an eeprom?

20210725-105212.jpg
20210725-105212.jpg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 1022 times

Figured I'd better off restarting and trying again making sure the dongle is in at start, so I redid the command.

20210725-095858.jpg
20210725-095858.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 1022 times

Finally I tried your last suggestion to figure out whether it's using Unix or dos. It came back empty!
That last one surprised me since I checked the directory and it's clearly still there.

What now?

(appreciate the help btw)
Dreams don't die!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

Captain FPGA wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:14 pmOkay, so far I unhooked the wifi before typing in dmesg and this is what I got. Something about an eeprom?
I can see an "USB disconnect" there. If this weren't you who removed the WiFi dongle it looks like a undervoltage/voltage drop to me. I've often seen similar issues, including myself, and the only thing that helped was to exchange the power supply to a "better one". My personal recommendation is a MeanWell GST40A05. Many others here are having this power supply and I don't know anyone who has ever had problems with it.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
desin24

Unread post by desin24 »

Captain FPGA

desin24 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:43 pm viewtopic.php?p=28167#p28167
Tooshay, I remembered the mc thing but forgot the dmesg | grep usb > usb.txt

Good lookin on the reminder. Here are the text files! If you guys see anything wrong let me know.

https://mega.nz/file/rnwiQKII#-vZN3P_IL ... nv2ds9dyQo

https://mega.nz/file/yngEWYDR#qU1ci5_PT ... 6h7L8Z8WUY
Dreams don't die!