Networking static ip setup connmanctl gone

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Zarkov

Networking static ip setup connmanctl gone

Unread post by Zarkov »

Hello, I'm new to mister and just got my hardware built.

I have the io board, the 128mb ram, RTC 1.3 so far.

I'm running ethernet and I do not use dhcp on my home network. Everything I have is setup manually with static ip and dns etc.

I started by setting up a micro sd card with the MRFusion image.

I booted up the mister on the card and it installed the basic os and menu.

Next, I found info here:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ip-address

Under the section "static ip" it goes over using the command "connmanctl" to setup the ip and dns. I followed the steps and successfully setup my static ip and dns fine. rebooted then ran the update script.

After the update script was finished. I no longer had a connection. I tried to use "connmanctl" and it is now removed from the system.

I researched a ton and tried to manually setup a static ip by using "nano" on the etc/network/interfaces file as well as the etc/resolv.conf.

I end up with the mister menu showing my ip but if I run a script to update again it tells me I have no internet access. In the linux f9 system, I can ping my router but not www.google.com so the dns is not working.

When I edit the resolv.conf file, after the update, It shows "generated by dhcpcd" instead of connmanctl. Also this file is always only contains 3 comment lines and no ip address for a dns server. If I add one manually, it just goes away next reboot. I believe this is because dhcpcd is now managing it.

I tried to see if I could modify dhcpcd but failed to find a way to manually input my dns settings i need.

I'd like to learn whats going on. Thanks for your time.
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Networking static ip setup connmanctl gone

Unread post by jca »

One of the latest updates dropped connman in favor of dhcpcd.
I was also using a static IP but did not try yet with the new system.
Even with connman I still had the problem of resolv.conf being reset, I guess not everything was setup correctly but I found a bandaid:
I created an init script in /etc/init.d name S99dns which contained the following line:
cp /media/fat/Scripts/resolv.conf /etc
with /media/fat/Scripts/resolv.conf containing the proper values.
It worked but there has to be a better way.
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Networking static ip setup connmanctl gone

Unread post by jca »

Thanks to this post by Flandango
viewtopic.php?p=34047#p34047
I finally setup back my fixed IP address and no bandaid this time