Background Music at the OSD Menu?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Captain FPGA

Background Music at the OSD Menu?

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Hypothetically speaking, would it be possible to run a script with background music playing at the main menu? Such a script would preferably play upon power cycling on first activation. There should also be an off script kind of like the Mister's SAM has. Ideally the music itself could go in a single folder with potential sub folders, this will hold all your tracks.

What's the likelihood of something like this becoming a reality? Would it be difficult to implement? To me that kind of script would be a breakthrough in the same lane as Wifi, update_all and Mister_SAM. I'm used to playing my Original XBOX mod and hearing third strike music playing when I turn it on (with matching theme) something like this would be cool for the Mister. :D
Dreams don't die!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: Background Music at the OSD Menu?

Unread post by RealLarry »

That would be of interest for me too, what possibilities we can expect. I have a "shutdown" script which unmounts all CIFS mounts, shutdown my NAS per ssh and displays a "power off" picture to tty2oled. But it would be nice to change the background image of MiSTer's menu also.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:09 pm Hypothetically speaking, would it be possible to run a script with background music playing at the main menu? Such a script would preferably play upon power cycling on first activation. There should also be an off script kind of like the Mister's SAM has. Ideally the music itself could go in a single folder with potential sub folders, this will hold all your tracks.
I have not tried it yet, however, if you rename /media/fat/_user-startup.sh to /media/fat/user-startup.sh then add something like the following:

Code: Select all

aplay /media/fat/a1000.wav  &
or...

mpg123 /media/fat/MP3/startsound.mp3 &
Maybe I'll try and make my A1200 MiSTer play the Amiga 1000 jingle on start.
http://www.geekometry.com/2013/11/amiga ... oot-sound/
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

wow i never knew the a1000 had a boot up sound..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

bbond007 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:09 pm Hypothetically speaking, would it be possible to run a script with background music playing at the main menu? Such a script would preferably play upon power cycling on first activation. There should also be an off script kind of like the Mister's SAM has. Ideally the music itself could go in a single folder with potential sub folders, this will hold all your tracks.
I have not tried it yet, however, if you rename /media/fat/_user-startup.sh to /media/fat/user-startup.sh then add something like the following:

aplay /media/a1000.wav  &
or...

mpg123 /media/fat/MP3/startsound.mp3 &
Maybe I'll try and make my A1200 MiSTer play the Amiga 1000 jingle on start.
http://www.geekometry.com/2013/11/amiga ... oot-sound/
Woah, that worked! \o/

...but how do I amend the script (or which script do I have to edit) to be always on with each boot-up?

Sorry, I'm not a linux person :oops:

Edit: for reference, here's the .wav I used:
bbc.7z
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
terminator2k2

Unread post by terminator2k2 »

just edit user-startup.sh

and add your file name bbc.wav in place of a1000.wav

also make sure you have uploaded the wav file
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

RealLarry wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 pmit would be nice to change the background image of MiSTer's menu also.
Answering to myself: Solved by using MiSTer_Batch_Control https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_Batch_Control
Attachments
shutdown.jpg
shutdown.jpg (97.49 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

terminator2k2 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:18 pm just edit user-startup.sh

Let me rephrase; the script doesn't run automatically on each boot. I've placed it directly under media/fat and checked paths, then inside the 'Scripts' folder, even converted the .wav to .mp3 and put it inside the existing 'MP3' folder, editing the path accordingly.

When manually executed, the script plays the file alright; my question is how can it be made to run 'by itself' at the moment of soft -or hard- rebooting.

With my limited knowledge, I'm guessing it's not that simple.
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

The user-startup.sh script will only run on startup of the linux os, which is during a cold-boot. Warm boots, and anybody please correct me if I'm wrong, is only the particular core in use is rebooted, therefore the script won't run.
Now what you may want to do, is write a script/daemon to monitor what core is running, if it's the main core, play the sound file, if not, stop/pause the playback.
terminator2k2

Unread post by terminator2k2 »

lamarax wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:41 pm
terminator2k2 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:18 pm just edit user-startup.sh

Let me rephrase; the script doesn't run automatically on each boot. I've placed it directly under media/fat and checked paths, then inside the 'Scripts' folder, even converted the .wav to .mp3 and put it inside the existing 'MP3' folder, editing the path accordingly.

When manually executed, the script plays the file alright; my question is how can it be made to run 'by itself' at the moment of soft -or hard- rebooting.

With my limited knowledge, I'm guessing it's not that simple.

mine plays the sound with every hard reboot or power on, doesnt do it by soft re-boot though

my elgato capture card takes a few seconds to kick in, but audio is fine on main display

My script is in /media/fat/linux

https://youtu.be/cTO--_zM6iU
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Flandango wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:59 pm The user-startup.sh script will only run on startup of the linux os, which is during a cold-boot. Warm boots, and anybody please correct me if I'm wrong, is only the particular core in use is rebooted, therefore the script won't run.
Now what you may want to do, is write a script/daemon to monitor what core is running, if it's the main core, play the sound file, if not, stop/pause the playback.
Yep, you're exactly right. I've managed to make it work (script must reside under media/fat/linux), but only works on hard (cold) reset.

On the other hand, this is the expected behavior of a BBC micro in my posted example (Ctrl+Break=cold reboot produced the jingle, while Break alone=soft reboot would be silent).

So thank you people for another 100% accuracy milestone! :mrgreen:

this was easy
marcelosofth

Unread post by marcelosofth »

Did anyone manage to put background music on Mister's OSD?