MiSTer not booting after update [Solved]

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
_paul_

MiSTer not booting after update [Solved]

Unread post by _paul_ »

After running updater 4.0.17 on my PC my MiSTer no longer boots from my SD card. I have flashing red and green leds and keyboard caps lock responds. There is no HDMI output but I do get "snow" on the analog port (no menu).

I tried
- different settings in mister.ini
- defaulting to MiSTer_example.ini
- removing mister.ini

Also took a new 2GB SD card and used mr-fusion-v2.3 to initialise it. The MiSTer boots fine with that.

Is there a way to debug the boot sequence and/or replacing the boot loader without deleting / messing up the cores and the settings? I have a 256GB SD card and don't look forward to starting from scratch...
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer not booting after update

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Just copy the MiSTer contents from your SD card (cores, Roms, Images, Ini-Files) to your computer, set the card up again and copy the original files back. No files for the MiSTer side are hidden on the card and this is a safe way to get a new and for sure working system again.
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

No need to setup everything. You just need to recopy MiSTer (main binary) and menu.rbf to the SD.
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

bootsector wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:21 am No need to setup everything. You just need to recopy MiSTer (main binary) and menu.rbf to the SD.
That did the job, thanks!!