Why does OSD not come up automatically for some cores?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
segafan1985

Why does OSD not come up automatically for some cores?

Unread post by segafan1985 »

I have to get up and go press the OSD button on my Mister Pre Configured Box on some cores.

I am sure I can map the OSD button but why do I even have to do that?

I know some cores if you rename a ROM to boot.rom it will autoload - but for some cores the instructions say to rename the BIOS file to boot.rom.

So it seems like for SMS \ GBA \ GB \ etc. the CORE is autoloading the BIOS file. Then I have to hit OSD to get the load game option. Am I SOL or doing something wrong?
caad

Re: Why does OSD not come up automatically for some cores?

Unread post by caad »

You're meant to map the OSD button to your gamepad.

Something like START+Up works usually, if you can't spare a button.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

I've noticed that as well, and it's odd that this behavior is different per core. I'd think consistency should be a goal, with either all cores displaying OSD at boot time (unless it's booting into a non-BIOS ROM due to use choice) or none displaying the OSD by default.

But since we don't have any control over that, the best thing you can do is map the OSD button to your controller. If you're using a controller with an extra button (Switch Home, Xbox orb, PS4 PS button, etc), just map that to OSD and you have quick and easy menu access without having to get up and poke the console. If you don't have spare buttons, do something like Start+Select at the same time, or Start+Down.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

There is now an osd_timeout change for this so you can eliminate any kind of timeout and it will always stay open initially.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... 43f555ad1a

Just set osd_timeout=0 in your MiSTer.ini file.

If you set this and a core still doesn't keep the OSD open, let me know, I'll test it on a fresh microSD to see what the issue is.
birdybro~
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Don't you guys have the Menu Button set to a button or combination on the controller your are using? Odd question
segafan1985

Unread post by segafan1985 »

I set the timeout to an hour but the issue is that the OSD doesnt pop up for all cores automatically when loading the core. Oh well. Thought I was doing something wrong.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Yeah, apparently this always happens only for cores that load some kind of bios (or have their own simulated bios loading) at the beginning. It's probably in Main that this behavior occurs.
birdybro~
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

It’s very inconsistent. In my opinion, the rules should be:

1) Always show the OSD for cores that don’t do anything until you select a ROM (all Console cores). (But, as below, include a way to suppress it)

2) Show the OSD for computer cores that have no configuration (with an option to suppress it, which it sounds like is already there?), e.g. Amiga core should boot as a real Amiga without an OSD if there’s a configuration set up, otherwise show the OSD. Commodore 64 — generally useless for most people unless they have the OSD to load a CRT file, but make it possible to boot the core without OSD for the purists.

3) Never show OSD for arcade cores on boot (this is not a problem, just included for completeness).

Did I miss any edge cases? :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Some console cores have a game built-in, like the Vectrex. So I think it should be optional for those cores as well.