TP-Link TL-WN725N V1 Driver

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
ioev

TP-Link TL-WN725N V1 Driver

Unread post by ioev »

Before I go down the rabbit hole of trying to compile this myself, does anyone happen to have a compatible driver for this dongle? It's this one:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/down ... v1/#Driver

lsusb gives the ID 0bda:8179, based on RTL8188EUS as an 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter.

I've checked for a driver at https://github.com/wkennington/linux-fi ... er/rtlwifi (linked from the MiSTer WiFi guide) and don't see anything that exactly matches, but maybe this wouldn't help me anyway?

(For completions sake, I've also just tried configuring my network settings to see if it's supported out of the box, but it doesn't ever try to connect.)
ioev

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V1 Driver

Unread post by ioev »

I decided to give compiling the driver myself a go and turns out it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Wireless is working great now!

Would it be helpful to share the compile .ko file?

Edit: Scratch that, I updated via the update script and the .ko file is now missing from /lib/modules/4.19.0-socfpga-r1/ I copied it back and did the rest of the steps and it's working again, but will this happen every time I update?
patamar4

Unread post by patamar4 »

Hi, how big was this ko you compiled?

I also noticed this problem when it is updated the linux of the mister, in my case the ko file has 11.7mb and in the last update of linux used more space and did not let me directly put the ko I have, I had to delete some files to be able to put.
ioev

Unread post by ioev »

The 8188eu.ko file is 2.2mb. I didn't have to delete anything to copy it back on afterwards, but I'm guessing that directory just gets completely overwritten on certain updates?
D1m0n_FidoNet

Unread post by D1m0n_FidoNet »

ioev wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:10 pm I decided to give compiling the driver myself a go and turns out it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Wireless is working great now!

Edit: Scratch that, I updated via the update script and the .ko file is now missing from /lib/modules/4.19.0-socfpga-r1/ I copied it back and did the rest of the steps and it's working again, but will this happen every time I update?
Kindly, the shareholder of the finished file.
mdd45

Unread post by mdd45 »

ioev wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:10 pm I decided to give compiling the driver myself a go and turns out it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Wireless is working great now!

can you share the file, also it is a .ko file or a .bin?

have you tried copying the file inside?: /usr/lib/firmware/ or /usr/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/
ioev

Unread post by ioev »

Link to the .ko and .bin files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MHfcvx ... sp=sharing

The bin is from the site linked from the MiSTer wifi docs: https://github.com/wkennington/linux-fi ... er/rtlwifi

And like I said, everything is working fine now, it's just that after running the update script the .ko file disappeared and I had to copy it back and reconfigure.
icaruslol

Unread post by icaruslol »

ioev wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:11 pm Link to the .ko and .bin files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MHfcvx ... sp=sharing

The bin is from the site linked from the MiSTer wifi docs: https://github.com/wkennington/linux-fi ... er/rtlwifi

And like I said, everything is working fine now, it's just that after running the update script the .ko file disappeared and I had to copy it back and reconfigure.
I just registered to say thank you very much, I happened to have the same exact USB dongle and was trying to get it working, I've used your compiled drivers and it's working great. It turns out this dongle doesn't support 5Ghz, but oh well, it was sitting my drawer and I didn't have to spend any money. Thanks again!
marx

Unread post by marx »

I have TP-Link TL-WN725N V3 and I'm looking into compiling the driver but the sources on TP's website seem to be incompatible with the kernel version on the MiSTer (4.19.0) due to changes in the timers of kernel v4.15. I'm curious as to how you went about it. I tried out these 2:

https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201805/ ... 7_beta.zip

https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201802/ ... _Linux.zip
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

The .ko file from user ioev, as well as these installation instructions from the mister wiki (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... TION-GUIDE), followed by running the wifi.sh script, worked for me! It does not delete itself either, just works perfectly after this setup.
marx

Unread post by marx »

Just chiming in to confirm that with the TP-Link TL-WN725N V3 and the .ko file from user ioev I was able to get WiFi working on the MiSTer. I still wish there was a way for me to build the .ko file as the sources from TP-Link won't build properly against the MiSTer kernel source files. I don't know what other sources I could use that would work with the kernel version MiSTer uses but if I find any, I'll take a crack at it and leave something up on GH.

PSA: Remember to change the setting on the router to accept WPA if you have it on WPA2 only.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

I'm having trouble with my wifi dongle that used to work for a long time. I followed the setup in that thread and it was working initially, but now I'm getting errors all: IPv6 kernel autoconf disabled and wlan0: waiting for carrier before entering my wifi password. The connection doesn't seem to get established (I get /dev/tty: no such devices or addresses).

Does this ring a bell to anyone?
Side note, ethernet works fine, just a little bit annoying to need a cable connected when the dongle is connected :-)

EDIT: Solved! Turns out, my wpa_supplicant.conf file was missing fields. Now here is what it currently looks like:

-----------------------/media/fat/linux/wpa_supplicant.conf-----------------
ctrl_interface=/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1
country=CA

network={
ssid="wifi name"
psk="wifi password"
}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

I have this same device (well, the V3), and I cannot for the life of me get it working. I’ve taken ioev’s .ko file (which is for V1 but marx said worked for them with a v3) and put it in lib/modules/4.19.0-socfpga-r1 and have rtl8188eufw.bin in lib/firmware/rtlwifi. I’ve edited wpa_supplicant to have the id and password, and removed the underscore from the start. I’ve set my network to WPA. I’ve done depmod and modprobe like the wiki page says. I’ve rebooted. It’s not working.

The wifi script says “Failed to bring up wlan0”, but iwconfig shows a bunch of stuff about wlan0. lshw get me:

*-network:1
Description: wireless interface
Physical id: 2
Bus info: usb@1:1.2
Logical name: wlan0
serial: d0:37:45:0b:e4:c1
Capabilities: Ethernet physical wireless
Configuration: broadcast: yes driver: rtl8188eu multicast=yes wireless=unassociated

I obviously have no clue what I’m doing here or why. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong, or not doing?
el3m

Unread post by el3m »

I have same issues as user Yim, my dongle is V1 I believe. The wifi.sh script doesn't work, I tried to config with command line but there's something weird: First two times scanning via "iwlist scan" worked, but after a reboot it doesn't scan any AP's. I didn't troubleshoot any further.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

PROBLEM + SOLUTION:

My Wi-Fi stopped working after updating the MiSTer OS, and I found out that the rtl8188eu* files have been deleted from the /lib/modules/4.19.0-socfpga-r1/ and /lib/firmware/rtlwifi folders. The steps I needed to do to solve this (from https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... TION-GUIDE) were:

* cp rtl8188eu.ko /lib/modules/4.19.0-socfpga-r1/
* cp rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi

* Then execute:
```
depmod -a
modprobe rtl8188eu
# You should not see issues here (but even if you do, it's sometimes ok), and if you execute iwconfig the wlan0 interface shows up
reboot
```
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

It seems like this issue was resolved in the September 2021 release (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/459). Works for me, I don't have to handle configs after OS updates anymore!
409industries

Unread post by 409industries »

barfood wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:07 pm EDIT: Solved! Turns out, my wpa_supplicant.conf file was missing fields. Now here is what it currently looks like:

-----------------------/media/fat/linux/wpa_supplicant.conf-----------------
update_config=1
country=CA

network={
ssid="wifi name"
psk="wifi password"
}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was banging my head against the wall after my wifi was working for months, only to find it wouldn't connect anymore (Edimax dongle). Thanks for the tip about the missing lines in wpa_supplicante.conf, this worked for me!
Sliff2000

Unread post by Sliff2000 »

I would like to confirm that my network running with Ubiquity hardware started working after I added these lines to my /media/fat/linux/wpa_supplicant.conf:

update_config=1
country=US
Hakeshu

Unread post by Hakeshu »

Registered only to confirm tha editing the /media/fat/linux/wpa_supplicant.conf with:

update_config=1
country=CA

network={
ssid="wifi name"
psk="wifi password"
}

And changing my router to channel 5 did the trick (for some reason the Linux build doesn't like the channel 11 that was used before as default)

I'm using a Comfast CF-812AC adapter. Hope it helps future searches.