CIFS Mounting - downsides of making writeable?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
deepthaw

CIFS Mounting - downsides of making writeable?

Unread post by deepthaw »

I notice the script for the CIFS mounting appears to force mounting RO. If I try creating an account with rw permission, making the SMB share writeable, and access it via that account the script throws up an error about being unable to mount readonly.

Is there a reason to not edit the script to make it mount the CIFS share writeable? Seems like whoever wrote it went to some level of effort to make sure we didn't.

(I'd like to be able to share hard drive images, etc. via CIFS and they'd need to be writeable.)
Locutus73
Core Developer

Re: CIFS Mounting - downsides of making writeable?

Unread post by Locutus73 »

Are you referring to cifs_mount.sh and cifs_umount.sh?
There's no line of code or default option forcing read only monuts in those scripts.
I just tested succesfully accessing my Amiga directory (on my NAS) through MiSTer, creating a test.txt file from its Linux ssh terminal, and then reading it afterwards accessing directly the NAS.

Regards.

Locutus73
deepthaw

Unread post by deepthaw »

Hmm. When I made my share writable, I got a “could not mount readonly” error. I’ll have to look further into it.
Locutus73
Core Developer

Unread post by Locutus73 »

Try using dmesg command in a ssh terminal after launching the script. You’ll see kernel logs. Usually they are more informative than the mount output messages.

Regards.

Locutus73