How about make MiSTer to be OSSC?

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
yaoese

How about make MiSTer to be OSSC?

Unread post by yaoese »

I had purchased mister ,the sound and graphic are good. So I think, can we make Mister to use as a OSSC? I am not a coder ,but I think it's able to do this thing from the spec ,because all the core runs so well ,and video and sound are good. So if we get the signal from the io board ,and output by HDMI.

I don't know it's right or not ,but I think this is a way for make the thing working .

:twisted: :D :lol: :lol:
Sigismond0

Re: How about make Mister to be OSSC?

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

The DE-10 Nano is a developer FPGA that can be used for just about any purpose that you want. But turning it into a video scaler/ADC would be an entirely different software package than MiSTer. So at that point, it's not really MiSTer, it's just the same hardware as MiSTer running different software. And if it's not MiSTer software, it's probably not going to be developed by MiSTer developers.
grizzly

Re: How about make Mister to be OSSC?

Unread post by grizzly »

It will take time until all the features get implemented, but release can be expected once the HW is complete and a sufficient number of new features are available and verified. As a thanks to community's support for the first project, upcoming prototypes of the new model will be sent to the guys who have contributed most on the original OSSC firmware. New developers are also welcome as the project is large enough to enable different implementation areas for several people. For DIY-builders and those who can't wait for the final HW, a small add-on PCB compatible with a couple Terasic FPGA dev boards (DE10-Nano, DE2-115) is in works and available soon. Together with the parent dev board, it can be used to implement a subset of the functionality presented above.
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65892

And i´m sure i have read about one or two more similar projects but if they are alive or dead i do not know.
ash2fpga

Re: How about make MiSTer to be OSSC?

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Project for the dev board addon: https://github.com/marqs85/DExx-vd_isl
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

So the Dexx-vd_isl board looks to be released. I'm a bit confused as to what its use is though? I have found the scaler options on the Misterfpga to be fine but I user CRT. Can anyone elaborate some use cases?
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

It's not for scaling mister stuff. It just turns the de-10 nano into a 'ossc-pro lite' for cheap(ish). It just uses the same de-10 board as mister does.
If you already have a DE-10 nano and need to scale some analog sources (real consoles, computers etc) then it is an attractive option.
Shogun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:46 am So the Dexx-vd_isl board looks to be released. I'm a bit confused as to what its use is though? I have found the scaler options on the Misterfpga to be fine but I user CRT. Can anyone elaborate some use cases?