AUDIO Implementation (Amiga AND Framework)

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
Bas
Top Contributor

Re: AUDIO Implementation (Amiga AND Framework)

Unread post by Bas »

Awesome work, thank you!!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

SegaSnatcher wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:01 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:56 am I tried the beta of the audio fix yesterday and wow, fantastic job! It sounds so crisp now with a lot of bass. It really gives me that Amiga audio vibe.
Try the new release and let me know what audio settings you prefer.
PWM with the auto filter sounds the most authentic to me. PWM seems to have better instrument separation as well.

I forgot how much I used to hate that filter :) it is so strong. My first Amiga 2000 (revision A) couldn't turn it off with its LED, so I soldered in a switch to be able to turn it off. Hybris does sound like I remember it with the filter.

I'm looking forward to a guru meditation in combination with audio, that was always a signature effect.
SegaSnatcher

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 pm
SegaSnatcher wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:01 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:56 am I tried the beta of the audio fix yesterday and wow, fantastic job! It sounds so crisp now with a lot of bass. It really gives me that Amiga audio vibe.
Try the new release and let me know what audio settings you prefer.
PWM with the auto filter sounds the most authentic to me. PWM seems to have better instrument separation as well.

I forgot how much I used to hate that filter :) it is so strong. My first Amiga 2000 (revision A) couldn't turn it off with its LED, so I soldered in a switch to be able to turn it off. Hybris does sound like I remember it with the filter.

I'm looking forward to a guru meditation in combination with audio, that was always a signature effect.
Do you have it set to A500 or A1200 filter in the audio options?
SegaSnatcher

Maybe its just me but PMW mode almost sounds like there is aliasing going on.

You can test yourself with intro music to the game Hybris.

Settings.

Filter off

A500 audio mode

PWM enabled

Switch back between Normal and PWM modes while the music is playing and you can hear some weird almost aliased tone.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

SegaSnatcher wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:44 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 pm
SegaSnatcher wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:01 pm Try the new release and let me know what audio settings you prefer.

Do you have it set to A500 or A1200 filter in the audio options?
A500. I didn't use my A4000 much for gaming.
SegaSnatcher wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:22 am Maybe its just me but PMW mode almost sounds like there is aliasing going on.

You can test yourself with intro music to the game Hybris.

Settings.

Filter off

A500 audio mode

PWM enabled

Switch back between Normal and PWM modes while the music is playing and you can hear some weird almost aliased tone.
Yes, I did hear sharp noise, but wasn't sure if that is how it sounds on a real Amiga, I haven't compared it to the real thing (still have an A500 and my A4000 which I haven't turned on in ages). I don't remember noticing that with the beta core, I should compare the two.
SegaSnatcher

I have a build with the latest commits and it appears the Paula Output mode that switches between "Normal" and "PWM" doesn't do anything now, almost like it has been disabled.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

SegaSnatcher wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:03 pm I have a build with the latest commits and it appears the Paula Output mode that switches between "Normal" and "PWM" doesn't do anything now, almost like it has been disabled.
I've just checked and the unstable version (Minimig_unstable_20210304_2d54) I first tested didn't have this aliasing effect, it is like a high-pitched metallic ringing. I'll check with the latest unstable version as well.

EDIT: Confirmed, in the latest unstable version (Minimig_unstable_20210305_d536) the PWM switch does nothing. I think it is just using the normal audio.