Add Delete ROM Feature

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
Breaking Hard

Add Delete ROM Feature

Unread post by Breaking Hard »

Hello it would be nice to have feature to delete roms. Its hendy when You upload lot of games, try each and can delite it from menu instead making notes and later do it.
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Add Delete ROM Feature

Unread post by jca »

You can use the console (F9) or WinScp and delete them each time you find one you want to delete.

Edit: The console may not be the best as it will likely log you out when you switch back and forth. You could also use putty but WinScp would be the easiest way to do it.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Yes you can use console/putty/winscp/ftp!
But for people like me that are using the mister on the same monitor as the computer it´s a bit convoluted to have to fell up the monitors behind to count (and yes if i do not count i rarely hit the right button) and then press the right button, wait for 2-3sec for the input to switch over.
Move and switch mouse/keyboard which is moved to the side to make room for mister mouse/keyboard browse to the right folder find the right file and delete it takes time (winscp you can have open and it will stay connected tough so will save some time after the first use).

Then make out with the monitor again to switch the input back to the mister and so on and on all in all it takes a while to do, and gets you out of the mind set your in.
I do try out roms all the time, and i try 4-5 roms (or i forget which i wanted to delete) switch and delete the ones that sucks (mainly sport/rts games).
Or do as Healing softly (i did get that right? Right :mrgreen: ) do and fiddle with paper/pencil (and if i did that could maybe read half of it when done if i´m lucky).

I guess you can use ftp/etc with a phone/pad/laptop too.
But pad/laptop is out for me as i do not have space at the gaming corner, and i only have an old flip phone since i really hate using a small touchscreen device, not that i enjoy using a big one either, it´s the using fat finger to block the view thing and the lack of feeling i really hate.

Compare the above with just pressing or maybe holding a button for 2-3sec and answer yes if you want to delete the file directly in the mister gui, maybe have to be a keyboard and the delete key!

Sadly i assume that this will never happen, since a delete function in the gui is very/very often missing in many/many/many programs (like media players) and it is extremely rare that anyone other then me is missing or want it, and i have never seen a delete file function get added in any program that is missing one.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

My idea was a good one but not very practical in your case. On my setting I have 2 screens and 2 wireless KB and when I use both WinScp and MISTer I frequently type on the wrong KB so I understand what you are going thru with your particular setting.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

An easier method is to make a favorites folder and just keep adding games you like to that instead. I have a folder in each games subfolder called "0 Favorites" (because I use the everdrive packs/htgdb packs) so it's at the top of the list.
birdybro~
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Maybe not something for core, but, just spitballing, perhaps "flag a file" (flag to keep/protect/favorite, or flag to remove/hide/ignore) could be a feature of super attract mode.