Template_MiSTer core runs but doesn't recognize OSD/input [Solved]

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
Nolbin
Core Developer

Template_MiSTer core runs but doesn't recognize OSD/input [Solved]

Unread post by Nolbin »

Hi there!

I've been getting started with MiSTer core development by attempting to compile and run the MiSTer-devel/Template_MiSTer core.

Compilation succeeds, and starting the core successfully results in the core's default "cosine noise" pattern.

However, the MiSTer becomes unresponsive to input when the core is loaded:
- The OSD/User buttons do nothing, so I can't bring up the OSD menu
- The OSD button on my gamepad also doesn't work
- A UART serial terminal shows gamepad inputs in the menu but not in the template core, so it seems to not be receiving input of any kind

When another core (e.g., Galaga) is opened, the serial terminal shows the following message:

Code: Select all

opened 0( 0) /dev/input/event0 (1d57:0020) 0 "usb-ffb4000..."
No such message appears in the template core, so it seems like it may not be opening the input devices at all. I'm not sure whether the IO board's buttons are also connected over /dev/input, though.

I am running Quartus Prime Lite 17.0.0. To rule my Quartus installation out, I also tried compiling the latest version of the Flappy Bird core; the resulting .rbf was able to open the OSD with no issues.

Thank you for your help!
Nolbin
Core Developer

Re: Template_MiSTer core runs but doesn't recognize OSD/input

Unread post by Nolbin »

...silly me! After running update_all, my issue is fixed.

I'm guessing that there must have been a change in the last month or two to how the input is initiated, and that the template core now takes advantage of the new way to set it up - but that the old way still works in the meantime. If anyone has any further reading on the topic, it would be greatly appreciated.