Launching specific ROM from command line

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
Nytron

Launching specific ROM from command line

Unread post by Nytron »

It appears that another user also thought of a similar idea to mine, see here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/190 (see very bottom-most post, which remains unaddressed)

Basically, one should be able to launch a specific rom file via command line. Currently, this is not possible. But with a trivial code change as discussed in link, this becomes possible.

Can we please merge this commit with Main_MiSTer? I really don't want to setup a build environment to compile mister each and every update.
Cebion

Re: Launching specific ROM from command line

Unread post by Cebion »

Nytron wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:15 am It appears that another user also thought of a similar idea to mine, see here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/190

Basically, one should be able to launch a specific rom file via command line. Currently, this is not possible. But with a trivial code change as discussed in link, this becomes possible.

Can we please merge this commit with Main_MiSTer? I really don't want to setup a build environment to compile mister each and every update.
"sorgelig commented on Apr 13
No, it's not proper use of MiSTer. It exposes proprietary interface which should stay as internal."
Nytron

Unread post by Nytron »

Cebion wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:54 am
Nytron wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:15 am It appears that another user also thought of a similar idea to mine, see here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/190

"sorgelig commented on Apr 13
No, it's not proper use of MiSTer. It exposes proprietary interface which should stay as internal."
That was regarding a totally different commit. Read the posts underneath that post. The guy in that thread found a cleaner workaround with minimal changes to the code. See the commit I linked in my previous post.

This feature would open the door to all kinds of different possibilities. Front end apps that leave the OSD untouched, automation via SSH (i.e. "Hey Google, play Streets of Rage 2 on Sega Genesis on Mister"), etc.
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

I see, I'm curious!
Nytron

Unread post by Nytron »

So I set up the build environment, but it looks like significant code changes have happened between this proposed commit and now.

For example, there is no "struct cmdentry" anymore! Perhaps someone more familiar with the codebase can lead me in the correct direction of how to do this now?