Help building MiSTer from source?

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Help building MiSTer from source?

Unread post by Caldor »

Can anyone help me build the MiSTer main?

I have installed MSYS.
I have gotten gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-win32 unpacked into MSYS\opt\linaro
I should have added opt\linaro\bin to path
But now I am not sure where to put the MiSTer source from git. I have tried just putting it in the home directory MSYS\Home\(my folder)\
And when I type dir it lists the files in this folder

It also recognizes arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-7.5.0.exe as a command... not sure if it should be arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc.exe instead. But I am just still not sure what file to give it.

I tried commands like
"arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-7.5.0.exe makefile"
But well, no luck so far. I tried googling stuff, and that is how I got this far, but now I think I need some help.

I think I managed to build the newest version of AO486, but it requires the newest version of MiSTer.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Re: Help building MiSTer from source?

Unread post by dshadoff »

The expected command would be "make"
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

dshadoff wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:33 pm The expected command would be "make"
Ahh, well one of my problems was figuring out how to install make. I googled that again and this time I found this thread:
https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/mailman ... sg32274216

Where someone called Alexey suggests:
pacman -S make

I am thinking that is likely to be Sorgelig. That seemed to work... now it cannot find the command arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc.

I have the file arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc.exe in my opt\linaro\bin folder, so... I must have a path problem still. I thought it was enough to just run it as a command in MSYS to add it to the path. Just unsure if path in this case is the overall one for Windows or some MSYS specific one. I will assume its probably the Windows one and try to add this folder to that path.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

My assumption was wrong, its MSYS specific... or that Linux subsystem specific. Either way I solved the problem with this command:

export PATH=$PATH:"/C/intelFPGA_lite/MSYS/opt/linaro/bin"

With C being the drive I have MSYS on, I have it in my IntelFPGA_Lite folder, which is for compiling the cores. I am pretty sure there is a way to add this path that is a bit simpler and more... in relation to the MSYS install path. But this worked, I now made my first MiSTer main compiled build.