DE10 Nano abuse...

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
ZigZag

DE10 Nano abuse...

Unread post by ZigZag »

Anyone have any radical or potentially dangerous stuff they'd like me to test for them? I fried the HDMI port on my DE10 Nano & now have a replacement. I'm happy to run some tests on the old board that might cause it grief. It still works fine using VGA output add-on board (which I'd prefer remains unharmed).

Otherwise I may donate it or do something cool with it (suggestions welcome).
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: DE10 Nano abuse...

Unread post by Newsdee »

How did you manage to fry the HDMI?
ZigZag

Unread post by ZigZag »

Newsdee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:15 am How did you manage to fry the HDMI?
By plugging it into a monitor! It must've been static discharge or something. I had a splitter & several cables connected (but the switch on that *should* have disconnected their connection) so I've no idea what caused the fault, I suspect the monitor itself.

There initially seemed to be a bad connection, I put that down to having an HDMI to DVI adaptor plugged in (it works with everything else though). As I was fumbling around trying to reconnect the HDMI cable the screen flickered & that was the final output from the HDMI. I tried it on the TV & a 2nd monitor to no avail.

My advice is turn the power off TV/monitor & MiSTer before connecting ANYTHING.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Woah, I never expected that could happen. Good to know.
ZigZag

Unread post by ZigZag »

Newsdee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:57 am Woah, I never expected that could happen. Good to know.
Came as something of a surprise to me too. It's the sort of thing you read about, but are so used to having done in the past you just think it'll never happen. Then one day it does....
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

At least it still works for VGA... you could turn it into an arcade cabinet :)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

I've had this happen at work on two Dell motherboards in a row, on their Displayport connection. What it ended up being is likely that the VGA port on that monitor was spiking voltage for whatever reason, and the display port to vga cable was cheap shitty chinese crap instead of the official dell ones which are pricey but have a little voltage protection built into em. I have to put in another dell service call... so it's not exclusive to development boards fragility, it's something that can even happen with displayport coming from measly vga.
birdybro~