Bluetooth Headphones & MiSTer

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
JudgeDrokk

Bluetooth Headphones & MiSTer

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

Don't shoot me down if this is a dumb question - lol :lol:

So, a MiSTer with blutooth dongle - will it connect to Bluetooth headphones or only KB, joypad or such.

:?:
blacklistedcard

Re: Bluetooth Headphones & MiSTer

Unread post by blacklistedcard »

I have not tried it with a bluetooth headphones. Sounds interesting...
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Did anyone ever try this?

I might give it a shot tomorrow when i get time if not, unless someone tells me it doesn't work :D
WiteWulf

Unread post by WiteWulf »

Even if it did work you'd have terrible lag and, imho, it would be unusable.
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

WiteWulf wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:50 am Even if it did work you'd have terrible lag and, imho, it would be unusable.
Why?

I use bluetooth for noise cancelling headphones on pc and Mac (and phone, tablet, etc.) with no problems.
WiteWulf

Unread post by WiteWulf »

Because *most* Bluetooth headphones incur about 0.5-1.5 seconds delay between the audio being sent and it being played back on the destination device. If you're listening to music you'll never notice this as it doesn't need to be in sync with any video on your screen. But if you're watching TV or a movie on your device you'll soon notice that the audio is out of sync with the video. This will also manifest if you're playing video games, and any game that required you to respond to audio cues would be unplayable. For me, I couldn't handle simply hearing any sound effect played back a second after I see it's visual effect on screen, it'd drive me nuts.

The exception to this is if your source device *and* headphones support one of the low-latency Bluetooth codecs (something AptX Low Latency or LDAC, for example), but they're relatively rare unless you're looking at high-end kit.
BigMac2

Unread post by BigMac2 »

For what I know, the HPS (ARM cpu) of the Cyclone V doesn't have a direct access to video and sound coming out of the FPGA Core, making hard (if not impossible) to output sound on any USB/Bluetooth audio interface beside Fluidsynth/MT32 sounds used with some computer cores.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

BigMac2 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:10 pm For what I know, the HPS (ARM cpu) of the Cyclone V doesn't have a direct access to video and sound coming out of the FPGA Core, making hard (if not impossible) to output sound on any USB/Bluetooth audio interface beside Fluidsynth/MT32 sounds used with some computer cores.
This is correct. I'm pretty sure Bluetooth audio won't work because it would entail a bluetooth audio driver, which would entail the linux side having access to the audio, which it doesn't currently (with the exception of the special cases like you said).
birdybro~
Nodieza

Unread post by Nodieza »

I know this is an old thread but it's the first that pops up when you Google the question and I have a workable solution.

One solution is to get an aux to bluetooth transmitter. I use it on my 3ds and for other devices that don't have Bluetooth out and it's nice. It probably won't sound great on the Mister unless you run it through an amp first (that's what I do before the analog signal goes to my crt). So you would do:

Mister aux out -> amp aux in (or red/white with aux female aux adapter) -> amp aux out (or red/white with female aux adapter) -> Bluetooth transmitter aux in. Then you would transmit that signal on the device to your headset. The one I use has a low latency mode that's pretty good but on a crt or low latency screen it might be noticeable. Some people aren't sensitive to it but I am.

The main reason I looking for this info was I want to sync my light strip to Mister game I am playing but you have to use Bluetooth. So for me I am gonna use a splitter in the chain and have one go to the Bluetooth transmitter for the lights and one to the crt.

Transmitter I use:
1Mii Bluetooth 5.3 Transmitter - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G8Q7NXZ

Amp I use:
Atom 2 - https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp-2/

Hackshed_Carl

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

I use a very similar setup except I output via optical to a DAC and then either pipe it through an amplifier or use my bluetooth transmitter with headphones.

Regarding lag, I've not noticed anything wildly out of sync but then I don't think I'm very sensitive to it.
It always seems to sound ok to me

offset

Unread post by offset »

I use the optical link to bluetooth dac for my headphones. Slight delay compared to wired but I don't really notice - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083LVX89D/