MiSTer FPGA Community Survey. Please share how you use your MiSTer.

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Lemonici

MiSTer FPGA Community Survey. Please share how you use your MiSTer.

Unread post by Lemonici »

Here's a link to the MiSTer FPGA Community Survey. We're trying to better understand what your experience is with MiSTer, as well as classic video games in general.
KremlingKuthroat19

Re: MiSTer FPGA Community Survey. Please share how you use your MiSTer.

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Good deal. This is a great way to give your input on what features you want too.

At the end of the survey it asks which feature you want and what core you'd like that currently isn't under development.

I said PDF support and a 3DO core. If you want to give your own opinions, then make your voice heard by filling out this survey.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Who is "we"?

Is this endorsed by Sorgelig?
Lemonici

pgimeno wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:01 pm Who is "we"?

Is this endorsed by Sorgelig?
Not at all, it was an idea I had that I shared in the Discord, which is who I was referring to. I'm not trying to represent anybody and I tried to be upfront about that in the opening lines of the survey.

EDIT: I still think this will be a valuable resource to devs
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Some questions like bluetooth/wifi adapters i think need another answer.
Because i do own many of them but i never use them anymore and certainly (BT) not on the mister.
So i own but never use would be nice.

Other then that pretty good and can probably be helpful.
d909

Unread post by d909 »

That input lag question should be how much ADDED input lag is acceptable.

In this survey, you ask what the maximum acceptable input lag is, but that question is really complicated. On real hardware, the input lag isn't zero. It varies based on the game and system but is often one to two frames, usually resulting in roughly 17-62 milliseconds of lag on real hardware depending on at what point in relation to the system's controller polling you press a button and where your character is on the screen (the bottom of the screen has a few milliseconds higher input lag because the image is drawn from the top over 16.66ms.

The maximum acceptable input lag, in my opinion, is exactly whatever it was on the original system and game and not a millisecond more... So I put 0, even though the real input lag will never be 0.
venalaine

Unread post by venalaine »

d909 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:09 am The maximum acceptable input lag, in my opinion, is exactly whatever it was on the original system and game and not a millisecond more... So I put 0, even though the real input lag will never be 0.
But original systems were used with wired controllers and nowadays many people want use wireless controllers. In this case higher input lag must be accepted.
d909

Unread post by d909 »

venalaine wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:24 am But original systems were used with wired controllers and nowadays many people want use wireless controllers. In this case higher input lag must be accepted.
Yes, and hdmi monitors / tvs also add unavoidable input lag. In the end, what is acceptable depends on the user's preferences. For me, the answer is original system latency plus zero.

It's a good question to have on the survey, I think, though the way its worded it is going to get a range of answers based on how people interpret the question thanks to the reasons I outlined. It's going to be hard to get much use out of the survey results for that question, I think.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

The survey is a cool idea, here's my feedback on what could be improved:

I've used some systems at the time (at the home of a friend or family or at school), but not regularly. Maybe a second question for that would be good. Because I do have nostalgia for them.

The Spectravideo SVI-328 is missing from that list, there is a core for it and it is not compatible with MSX. It was one of my main computers growing up.

Also missing are the LCD/VFD/LED handhelds and tabletops, for which there are also cores.

I don't play some cores, like the Vectrex core, because the display doesn't look very good and I have a real one. I do want it to be improved, because I want other people to experience it and it is a nice alternative way to play those games.

I haven't played some cores regularly yet, but am planning to get into them. Maybe a question for what cores you are planning to get more into.

The ADC board is missing as an option. It is a fun addition and some cores, like the Commodore ones, are missing support for it.

A 15Khz CRT monitor is missing as an option (1084 and similar). If that seems too similar to a CRT TV, you could add it to that answer.

I don't know if it would be interesting to ask if people are using 15Khz RGB, component or S/VHS.

I have WiFi adapter as a back up, but I use Ethernet.

Would it be interesting to ask if people ever edit mister.ini? To decide if options should go into the main menu.

There's a 5x scale answer but no integer h/v one.

And maybe interesting to ask if people use (some of) the computer cores as actual computers or only for games.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

interesting survey, i look forward to seeing the results. :)
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
invzim

Unread post by invzim »

I participated in the survey, however I do not think it will identify what I believe is the a fast growing "demographic" - people like me who are only/mainly interested in arcade cores and likely running them in real arcade cabinets.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

Filled, looking forward to the results
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Well, except from the fact that the obvious omission of a general 'arcade cores' option leaves out a big portion of the user base, I'm stupefied with the lack of love for the New Brain!* That's the one which got me into computers and which I've regularly used before better stuff came along (or in parallel with - such as the Acorn Atom, the Dragon and the Oric) j/k 🤓

*OK, I know it's not currently been thought of, or worked on by anyone, but I wish it would...
zorrobandito

Unread post by zorrobandito »

Survey completed. Is the ao486 missing from the Machines You Played in the Day deliberately or is it an omission?

Good survey with some good questions, I look forward to seeing how to the data will be used.
Lemonici

zorrobandito wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:41 pm Survey completed. Is the ao486 missing from the Machines You Played in the Day deliberately or is it an omission?

Good survey with some good questions, I look forward to seeing how to the data will be used.
The ao486 didn't exist, but several similar machines did so I opted to just put DOS since that's how it's being used