Wishlist of Cores You Would Like to See in the Future

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
lroby74

Re: Wishlist of Cores You Would Like to See in the Future

Unread post by lroby74 »

mapf wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:30 pm
mahen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:32 pm That's obviously very personal, depending on one's childhood etc. but I would love if any of those was implemented :
- Thomson MO5 / TO7 ("plan informatique pour tous", those machines were in all schools in France in the mid 80s, so there were some interesting stuff written for them...)
Well...

viewtopic.php?t=1543

https://github.com/Grabulosaure/MO_MiSTer

Enjoy ;)
OMG! I have italian version of it and i love it!
It's Olivetti Prodest PC128, thank you!!!!
Lostone98

Unread post by Lostone98 »

Mac OS 9 :D

I grew up with it and it was a lot that we had to go without a new washing machine for a while lol.
tgm0

Unread post by tgm0 »

2 of my personal favourites:
Athena, 1986 SNK
Kickle Cubicle, 1988 Irem
madmax

Unread post by madmax »

Consoles:
- Neo Geo CD
- 3DO (for return fire only)

Arcades :
- Sega System 16
- CPS3 (SF3,3 and Jojo)
- Midway Y unit UMK3
- Midway Wolf unit MK1&2, NBA JAM
- Taito F3 System Elevator Action Returns

Anything else more powerful (eg : NAOMI, Atomiswave, Model 2 , Model 3, Killer Instinct Arcade )is maybe not possible with current hardware.
Relikk

Unread post by Relikk »

I'd just like to see MSU1 added to the SNES core, and MD+ to the Mega Drive. It means I can finally sell the hardware that I have dedicated to those as I'm not at all interested in dealing with ageing hardware problems.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It could also be very interesting to have the Next186 SoC PC core ported to MISTer.
https://opencores.org/projects/next186_soc_pc
Hyper Space Squid

Unread post by Hyper Space Squid »

Im wishing here but i'd love to see an arcade core of Primal Rage 2 since it was cancelled.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Hyper Space Squid wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:47 pm Im wishing here but i'd love to see an arcade core of Primal Rage 2 since it was cancelled.
Very wishful. I am hoping to make it to Galloping Ghost and try theirs, if they still have it.
Tateha

Unread post by Tateha »

- Cave CV1000B and CV1000D
- Psikyo SH2 (for Dragon Blaze basically)
- Jaleco Mega System 1-A (for The Astyanax)
- IREM M84 (for Kengo and R-TypeII)
- IREM M72 (for most of them)

I think it would be nice to see all those cores.
djb_rh

Unread post by djb_rh »

Just some info since folks have asked for what I call “Atari Polygon” hardware, which is Hard Drivin, Race Drivin, and STUN Runner.

First, I have boards to loan if anyone wants to dig in and take this core up. I am also willing to do some funding, but only for someone who is really serious and capable of getting stuff done.

Some info I think is interesting to keep in mind. Mainly it’s worth noting that the hardware across all those games is very similar. There are three drivers, Hard Drivin, Race Drivin, and Race Drivin Panorama. There were two cabinet styles, upright (aka “compact”) and cockpit (and Panorama had sort of a cockpit that had two extra screens added). There are *major* differences between the two cabinet styles, the most interesting is that the compact cabinet is CGA (as is STUN Runner) and the cockpits are EGA. They used totally different motherboards with different video hardware and thus these can’t be swapped across cabinet types.

Also worth noting is that the racers have serial ports on them and when the boards have Race Drivin software installed (it’s a ROM/Slapstic swap) you can link two machines with a null modem cable for some pseudo head to head racing. This does NOT include Panorama, however, and there’s a good reason….Panorama (which can also be played with a ROM/slapstic swap) uses the serial ports for communication to the “side pods.” So what a Panorama *really* is is a RD cockpit hardware for the center screen (yes, cockpit, because the center screen is EGA) and then *basically* (I say basically because an actual STUN Runner motherboard doesn’t have the serial port hardware populated since it didn’t need it and thus can’t be used for a Panorama side pod unless you solder all the parts into place) STUN Runner hardware for *each* side screen (which means those are actually CGA). Then the single serial port of the center is run in parallel to the two side pod hardware boards (which seems wrong but works fine because the side pods only listen for data, they do not broadcast anything). Those have Panorama side pod software loaded and simply show the proper angle of video for how they are configured, which is done by going into test on each side pod.

What’s more interesting is that the “side pod” system isn’t really just for side pods. You can configure any of like 18 or so different viewing angles including behind, above, under, etc. So technically if you wanted you could surround yourself with monitors and side pod hardware and just parallel that same serial connection and get MANY views in many directions all at the same time.

It’s also worth noting that cockpit and compact cabinet styles had some different controls. I’m not 100% sure but I think there are steering differences. I know that the brake pedal on the compact is a strain gauge whereas on the cockpit it’s a potentiometer. And on the compact the shifter is really an analog joystick (x-y potentiometers) whereas on the compact it’s switches. And the compact video is flipped because a compact has the monitor overhead and you view it via a mirror.

If you only implemented CGA hardware, you would cover being able to play Hard Drivin, Race Drivin, and STUN Runner and that would including linking two Race Drivin’s, but you would NOT be able to play Panorama because there are no Panorama ROMs that will run on CGA like there are with Race Drivin. But I doubt adding the EGA hardware support would be all that hard if you got as far as CGA working.

This is another case that in my ideal world not only would a core get done that could play the game, but I’d love to see it complete enough that a harness could be made to support the cabinet controls and feedback so a MiSTer could be used to replace the PCBs in a real cabinet. I have both cabinet styles and the ability to do the wiring and testing needed to make this happen if anyone wanted to take on the bigger project. Being able to play these games with home controls is better than nothing, but IMHO it was the amazing feedback available in the steering of these real cabinets that made these special. Current stuff you can buy for racing simulators on PCs is very good, but still nowhere near as good as Atari’s first stab at it. It’s still the gold standard, IMHO. I guess when you see the washing machine motor that controls it you know why. :)

—Donnie
djb_rh

Unread post by djb_rh »

Oh, I should also mention that one of the original main developers of the Atari Polygon hardware and software is Jed Margolin, and he’s been VERY approachable and helpful with info on this stuff and I’m sure would be willing to answer questions of someone who was making a serious attempt at this. No, he ain’t gonna go do it, but having someone like him who can answer questions as they arise would likely be super useful.

—Donnie
CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

Seconding Valtric and Exerion. Actually -almost all the cool Jaleco shooters
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

Rolling thunder
katerpilet

Unread post by katerpilet »

32x
Virtual Boy 🤤
gfapunk

Unread post by gfapunk »

Rolling Thunder
Legend of Kage
Kageki
Wardner
NARC
siskavard

Unread post by siskavard »

TMNT/Simpsons Arcade & Virtualboy!
moonscience

Unread post by moonscience »

Kyukyoku Tiger
Fireshark
Truxton 1 & 2
...and of course Batsugun

I was trying to look up what hardware each of these were on, hoping the earlier games were maybe on one board, but I don't think that's the case. I can see how arduous this must be trying to make a new arcade core for just one game! If someone is working on the toaplan titles and has a patreon I'd love to support.
gschmidl

Unread post by gschmidl »

The Apple IIgs seems to be the biggest missing home computer core.
lovepastrami

Unread post by lovepastrami »

Would love to see some of these :-)

Star Wars (Atari)
R-Type (Irem)
Gradius/Nemesis (Konami)
Salamander (Konami)
Track & Field (Konami)
Rainbow Islands (Namco)
Rolling Thunder (Namco)
Ikari Warriors (SNK)
Cadash (Taito)
Rastan (Taito)
Xain'd Sleena (Technos)
Wardner (Toaplan)
Snow Bros (Toaplan)
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

Here's a left-field wish: a single music core that can play all the different chiptune music rip formats, the way the NES core can play .nsf files. If I ever made an attempt at developing a core, this is what I'd try to do.
NerdENerd

Unread post by NerdENerd »

Getting my Sinden Lightgun working with the Point Blank games would be awesome.
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

gschmidl wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:48 am The Apple IIgs seems to be the biggest missing home computer core.
Agree, at least for here in the USA for the period. I've always thought of the three, Amiga, Atari ST, and Apple 2GS as kind of a trio together. One is still left behind.
AnimMaDeR

Unread post by AnimMaDeR »

Agreed about the Apple IIgs. That’s what I had and it was amazing. California Games, Leisure Suit Larry, Where in USA is Carmen. Good times.

Arcade-wise, I’m dying to play these on my Mister:

-Capcom Bowling
-Toobin’
-Rampge
-TMNT
-Turtles in Time
-Simpsons
-MK
-MK II
-NBA Jam
-Primal Rage

Console-wise: N64
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

AnimMaDeR wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:02 am Agreed about the Apple IIgs. That’s what I had and it was amazing. California Games, Leisure Suit Larry, Where in USA is Carmen. Good times.

Arcade-wise, I’m dying to play these on my Mister:
Console-wise: N64
Native sound on 2GS is easily superier to Amiga or ST and 2GS has interesting color options, compared to Amiga and Atari ST. It's not quite 256 colors, like VGA, but can get pretty close. It's basic designed for doing point and client adventure games. Scrolling reflex games, well, is what it is.

There was a guy working on FPGA N64, but I don't think it's the same hardware as the MisterFPGA. He did get some 3d graphics rendering, but has been quiet lately. Maybe got a 'real job' -- know how that goes.
MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

AnimMaDeR wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:02 am Arcade-wise, I’m dying to play these on my Mister:

-Capcom Bowling
-Toobin’
-Rampge
-TMNT
-Turtles in Time
-Simpsons
-MK
-MK II
-NBA Jam
-Primal Rage
Rampage? :o https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-MCR3Mono_MiSTer
AnimMaDeR

Unread post by AnimMaDeR »

MadDog wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:01 pm Rampage? :o https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-MCR3Mono_MiSTer
Well I can cross that one off the list! I only had this thing a few days. Thanks for letting me know!
MrMr

Unread post by MrMr »

-3do (underrated classic)
-CD-i (never a great emulator for this one, some unique games)
-Jaguar, specifically with Jaguar CD support (no good CD emulation support either, afaik)
-Simpsons and TMNT beat-em-ups. Really, just every beat-em-up... :D
-NBA Jam

Could go on and on, but those are the main ones I'll hope for / look forward to.
gwobcke

Unread post by gwobcke »

I'd think I would like to see the following cores made or finalized:
* Apple IIe with disk writing support
* Apple IIgs
* NEC PC-88 and Sharp x68000 to be completed
* Thomson TO5/TO8
* NBA Jam (Arcade)
* Rastan (Arcade)
* R-Type (Arcade)
* Outrun (Arcade)