The VIC 20

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
lomdar67

The VIC 20

Unread post by lomdar67 »

We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: The VIC 20

Unread post by rhester72 »

Is this a joke? The full-size 64 model supports VIC-20 - the only difference (in terms of the machine or the included joystick) is the color of the plastic.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Wow, awesome, I wasn't expecting that to happen. The VIC-20 was my first computer, so I still like the color scheme a lot.

If there was a VIC-20 Mini, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I will actually be updating my C64 Mini with a working keyboard.
WolfgangBlack

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

rhester72 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:20 pm Is this a joke? The full-size 64 model supports VIC-20 - the only difference (in terms of the machine or the included joystick) is the color of the plastic.
Not a joke.
As you stated, it is simply a matter of using different color plastic so I guess they are just throwing this one out there
for the people who loved the Vic 20.
They aren't all that expensive so people really into the Commodore stuff might just buy both to have them.
It can't hurt the hobby though I won't be buying one as I have a machine that can do those machines and a lot more and so do you.
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

Yes but does your MiSTer have a lovely Vic20 Keyboard with PET keyboard font on sculpted keys (never produced like that but cool) and off white case with Tan coloured function keys?

There have been conversions of The C64 to Raspberry Pi so no reason not to put your MiSTer into The Vic20 :-)

The Vic20 also has licenced some more of the old games. The C64 has only 2 or 3 Vic20 Games.

It is a shame nothing from Jeff Daniels of Denial Forum was included. There are a lot of fantastic modern games released on there.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... /index.php

Finally, it looks a lot better than The C64 and it had a faster processor ;-)

If you want to try something on the Vic20

1. Star Defence +16k Stargate with normal and Turbo speed mode, great game great sound.
2. Myriad +3k or +8k - 10 different waves of Aliens
3. Arcadia unexpanded - Great Multi wave shooter
4. Jelly Monsters - Cartridge - Great Pacman
5. Laser Zone +8k or +16k - Great shooter with control of 2 ships at once on 2 axes, awesome sonix
6. Hell Gate + 8k or +16k - Control 4 ships at once shooter
7. Amok unexpanded - Great Berzerk / Amok game
8. Omega Race - Cartridge - Bally Midway arcade shooter conversion
9. Berzerk MMX+ - 16k - Berzerk with the speech
10. Doom +35k - never imagined this would be possible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVQcuiZpRsg
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

I played Myriad, Arcadia and Omega race a lot as a kid. The VIC has a lot of enjoyable games, I also like Gorf, Choplifter, Radar Rat Race, Jetpac, Skyhawk and Robot Panic, plus lots of others.

Too bad many of the best ones are not included, but it makes sense, as there are a lot of arcade ports.
WolfgangBlack

Vic20-Ian wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:41 pmYes but does your MiSTer have a lovely Vic20 Keyboard with PET keyboard font on sculpted keys (never produced like that but cool) and off white case with Tan coloured function keys?
No, it has a nice mechanical keyboard but nothing as fine as a Vic 20 unit.
:(

See?
There are people who will absolutely LOVE this new machine.
Vic20-Ian

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:29 pm I played Myriad, Arcadia and Omega race a lot as a kid. The VIC has a lot of enjoyable games, I also like Gorf, Choplifter, Radar Rat Race, Jetpac, Skyhawk and Robot Panic, plus lots of others.

Too bad many of the best ones are not included, but it makes sense, as there are a lot of arcade ports.
You can play them all from USB Stick ;-)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Vic20-Ian wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:43 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:29 pm I played Myriad, Arcadia and Omega race a lot as a kid. The VIC has a lot of enjoyable games, I also like Gorf, Choplifter, Radar Rat Race, Jetpac, Skyhawk and Robot Panic, plus lots of others.

Yes, luckily. I already have a C64 Mini and I really like the amount of attention they have put into configuring games using their filenames.
Vic20-Ian

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Yes, luckily. I already have a C64 Mini and I really like the amount of attention they have put into configuring games using their filenames.
I have a C64 Mini but cannot get that to play Vic20 games :-(

I am glad the full size one will have a Vic20 release, it is far better than the C64 ;-)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Vic20-Ian wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:43 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:52 pm
I have a C64 Mini but cannot get that to play Vic20 games :-(

I am glad the full size one will have a Vic20 release, it is far better than the C64 ;-)
Haha, the VIC was my first computer, so it has a special place in my heart. Never owned a C64 when they were contemporary, but classmates did have them.

I was waiting for someone to hack VIC-20 support into the mini, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

I just received my The VIC-20 last week, I almost forgot it was a thing and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. It looks fantastic, love the PET keyboard font as well. The box art is also really similar to that of the VIC-20 I had as a kid.

Project Carousel now runs completely from USB stick, even auto-booting on start, without any changes to the machine. There's a fantastic tool included to add your own games to one of the five carousels and the favorites carousel. The cool thing is that all games use saved Vice states, so loading is fast and simple, without needing any configuration.

MiSTer emulation is more accurate and the unit itself is tiny, with support for WiFi, network and wireless controllers, plus it can connect to a 15Khz CRT. But the advantages of The VIC-20 are easy and fast loading of games using the Carousel, the correct keyboard and great looking unit.
WolfgangBlack

You can get a board for about $10-15 called a VGA32 that has an ESP32 on it with ps2 mouse and keyboard port, sdcard port. and a VGA port
that can emulate a VIC20.
Cheap, small, and works ok.