Composite Adapter for MiSTer

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
AnimMaDeR

Re: Composite Adapter for MiSTer

Unread post by AnimMaDeR »

I have Antonio’s adapter and I love it. I run s-video and most cores look amazing. Some cores like Arkanoid and Rampage have a green tint but those are the exceptions.

Highly recommend his adapter if you have s-video inputs. Almost as good as running component. Very close.

I had a composite-only CRT TV but found one locally that had s-video. If you aren’t liking composite, it shouldn’t be too hard to find an s-video CRT.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

AnimMaDeR wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:56 pm I have Antonio’s adapter and I love it. I run s-video and most cores look amazing. Some cores like Arkanoid and Rampage have a green tint but those are the exceptions.

Highly recommend his adapter if you have s-video inputs. Almost as good as running component. Very close.

I had a composite-only CRT TV but found one locally that had s-video. If you aren’t liking composite, it shouldn’t be too hard to find an s-video CRT.
his is only svideo adapter available? quite expensive for me with shipping and tax. plus is need a modification in the board right? I suck at electronics.

I have a 21' crt svideo here I used to play ps2 and wii and getting dust now because I cant use it with mister here.
HappehLemons

Unread post by HappehLemons »

AnimMaDeR wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:56 pm I have Antonio’s adapter and I love it. I run s-video and most cores look amazing. Some cores like Arkanoid and Rampage have a green tint but those are the exceptions.

The issue seems to be exclusive to Composite output. On Sega Genesis for games that rely dithering it’s preferred as well as s-video is too sharp. PS1 wold in theory take advantage of this as well.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

For Genesis you don't just need composite, you need bad composite.

Each system had its own, idosyncratic composite flaws, which makes replicating them in a general purpose device difficult to impossible. That can in turn make those composite tricks less effective depending on the targeted system and technique used.
HappehLemons

Unread post by HappehLemons »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:39 am For Genesis you don't just need composite, you need bad composite.

Each system had its own, idosyncratic composite flaws, which makes replicating them in a general purpose device difficult to impossible. That can in turn make those composite tricks less effective depending on the targeted system and technique used.
Sure, maybe to replicate the proper dithering you’d need a filter on top here - but for some reason on the MiSTer, the composite for Genesis is actually worse then the composite the original. The screen has a ton of dot crawl and rainbow banding, objectify producing an worse Image then any original Genesis system revision I’ve ever used.