New Power Supply for the MiSTer Digital Edition

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
outatime

New Power Supply for the MiSTer Digital Edition

Unread post by outatime »

Hello,

i received my Mister today and it includes a Standard 5V 2A Power Supply by L.T.E. with a US plug.

Now I want to replace this supply for a one piece EU plug Version without using a travel adapter.

My mister has the additional USB board and I want to connect a WiFi usb dongle and 2 8bitdo dongles for my wireless controllers. Also the Noctua fan is build in. Now I’m insecure how much more Ampere I can choose.

The official GitHub statement says:

„The DE10 boards needs a 5V power supply with at least 2A. One such PSU is included with the DE10-Nano board.“

There is no limit listed but as most Rasperries have 3 or 4 Ampere.

Is there any problem with 4A / 20 Watts in the long term?
Threepwood

Re: New Power Supply for the MiSTer Digital Edition

Unread post by Threepwood »

More ampere is no issue, it just referes to how much the power supply can provide, while your device only takes what it needs. I use a Mean Well GST60A05-P1J power supply which has 5V/6A without issue. The correct voltage of 5V is the critical value and that you use a PSU with at least 2A. Less does not provide enough power.
outatime

Ok, thank you. So I need at least 2 A and go up high is I want as long as the device has the 5V? Think I will take this Meanwell, too.

But your device needs and additional cable for the right domestic plug, right? This is only the power supply.
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

That is all correct, yes, including that you need to buy the cable separate.
outatime

Thank you, what I ordered now is a MeanWell 5V 6A Slim Wall Adaptor in one piece, fantastic build.
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

I got the GST60A05 and it works fine. According to the specification the GST60A05 is a bit more efficient than GST25B05, but ripple is up to 120mVpp vs 80mVpp - I suppose that's at full load, so I'm not sure if for our usage the GST60A05 effectively has more ripple. Anyway, it works perfect for me, and I prefer this desktop format.