New MiSTer Composite adapter - mAVster_MD2

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
retrorepair

Re: New MiSTer Composite adapter - mAVster_MD2

Unread post by retrorepair »

I'm thinking this will be my last run of this board, between component sourcing issues and wanting to spend more time with my family this project is easy to let go of.

For anyone on the fence, this is just a heads up.

https://misterbits.fwscart.com/product_ ... 14892.aspx
Bahn Yuki

Unread post by Bahn Yuki »

Does this work with other sources? I have an rpi 4 I can get rgbs out of but I can't get svideo. This would be great as a rgbs to svideo convertor
telengard

Unread post by telengard »

Any still available? Site says sold out. :(

Late to the game, was hoping I could connect my MiSTer to my 1702.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

telengard wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:33 pm Any still available? Site says sold out. :(

Late to the game, was hoping I could connect my MiSTer to my 1702.
Unfortunately the mAVster is the only one known that works with the 1702. I've seen converter boxes on eBay but have no idea if they work with mister or the 1702.

I was really hoping Antonio would fix the issue with his converter but I don't think that's going to happen
Doodlesmurf

Unread post by Doodlesmurf »

Retrorepair,

Received my adapter today, and I have adjusted INI settings and the VGA 5V jumper as instructed. I'm connecting to a crt through an MD2 composite cable set. The screen does appear, however its quite dim and has a green tint, is this a common occurance?

Very excited to see my childhood games in composite glory, thanks for putting this together!
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Doodlesmurf wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:35 am Retrorepair,

Received my adapter today, and I have adjusted INI settings and the VGA 5V jumper as instructed. I'm connecting to a crt through an MD2 composite cable set. The screen does appear, however its quite dim and has a green tint, is this a common occurance?

Very excited to see my childhood games in composite glory, thanks for putting this together!
the dimness is common with this adapter. Adjust your brightness and contrast on your CRT. Thats what i did and got it to look good.

Toggle the Sync On Green switch on the IO board to see if that helps. I've noticed that if I have it turned ON, the picture looks better. Go figure.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

I noticed a difference in brightness between using a regular-length cable, and using a very short adapter. Chances are, the cable doesn't transmit the power effectively, leaving the adapter slightly weaker.

There was talk of a version of this adapter being produced, which uses an external supply - that might be better for this (or use a short cable, so that the composite adapter is closer to the MiSTer).
Doodlesmurf

Thank you for the information! SOG on the board does offer more accurate colors for my setup as well.

I'm comforted it's not just my setup, but a bit disappointed. I was sure it was me; going as far as reflowing my IO board and the mAVster just in case an errant resistor was to blame.

I wonder if the difference in cable length is altering:
1. RGB signal strength, in which case could I use THS7316 between the IO and the mAVster to improve results?
or
2. power to the CXA1145 in which case a simple jumper between pin 9 on IO and mAVster boards should do the trick.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Does the MiSTer have RGB support? Pretty sure f.ex. the Commodore 1084S monitor uses RGB as video input, but its running at 15khz. The MiSTer has a setting specifically for upscaling from 15khz and I suspect if you disable that, the MiSTer should be able to support this monitor with a regular IO board? If you have a HDMI or VGA to RGB?

But I have been unable to find anything that confirms that its possible to use old Amiga monitors with the MiSTer.
Doodlesmurf

Thanks for the advice! Alas this is a composite only broadcast monitor and not an RGB or VGA monitor, I should have been more clear.

Are old Amiga monitors TTL RGB like CGA instead of analog? I wouldn't mind TTL RGB support for my old Tandy 1000 monitors :). But first I'd like a composite signal like I grew up with, without having to recalibrate my display when I switch between Mister and other consoles. So the trouble shooting continues!

Jumpering 5V and/or ground, bypassing the VGA cable has no effect. This may be VGA cable quality dependant but an external power source doesn't seem beneficial.

I've ordered a few THS7314 and 7316 to see if RGB signal loss on the cable is responsible but I doubt it. Other CXA1145m implementations seem to suffer the same problem with solutions usually involving tweaking capacitor and resistor values. That'll be the next step.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Caldor wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:27 am Does the MiSTer have RGB support? Pretty sure f.ex. the Commodore 1084S monitor uses RGB as video input, but its running at 15khz. The MiSTer has a setting specifically for upscaling from 15khz and I suspect if you disable that, the MiSTer should be able to support this monitor with a regular IO board? If you have a HDMI or VGA to RGB?

But I have been unable to find anything that confirms that its possible to use old Amiga monitors with the MiSTer.
My 1084 is working perfectly with an RGB Scart cable, from my Analog IO board VGA port. Should work with an HDMI to VGA adapter as well.
sav2880

Unread post by sav2880 »

Just curious, if you do indeed decide to not continue on with the project, will you be open sourcing design/code so that others could potentially carry it on? Would love to see someone pick it up, and totally understand how life can get in the way on hobbyist stuff like this!
sav2880

Unread post by sav2880 »

... and as soon as I say that, another run is happening! Might pick up a second one for the second MiSTer. :)

Anyone have any good 3D cases for theirs yet?
Yodasghost

Unread post by Yodasghost »

Has anyone that ordered one from the most recent batch recieved it?
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

Yodasghost wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:27 am Has anyone that ordered one from the most recent batch recieved it?
Not wanting to step on any toes here, but I did see this over on reddit this morning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming/com ... ster_bits/
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

Hmm... I ordered one from an earlier batch.
While it was later than originally expected, it arrived and worked fine (although it requires a VGA cable with pin 9 connected, which is not so common these days apparently).
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Pulsar wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:36 pm
Yodasghost wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:27 am Has anyone that ordered one from the most recent batch recieved it?
Not wanting to step on any toes here, but I did see this over on reddit this morning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming/com ... ster_bits/
Whew!! Lucky I for mine!!