New MiSTer Composite adapter - mAVster_MD2

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
retrorepair

Re: New MiSTer Composite adapter - mAVster_MD2

Unread post by retrorepair »

I've had several requests to restock so will get some more boards on order.
MottZilla wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:02 pm Have you thought about having a cable to go from the VGA port directly to the GPIO port, negating the need for the I/O board? I think it's a neat idea having an easy solution to use the MiSTer with old TVs without RGB support.
I have another idea for this :)
retrorepair

Preorders are back on the webstore: https://misterbits.fwscart.com/product_ ... 14892.aspx
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

You mention in the summary, "In use, the VGA PWR jumper should be enabled and composite_sync=1 in your mister.ini".

Do you mean that the jumper should be set to 3.3V, or should it be 5V ?
retrorepair

5v ideally but 3.3v should work too.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm having trouble getting it working, but I'm not yet sure what part of my system is the problem.
To be fair, I don't otherwise use the VGA out on my I/O card (so I never saw it 'working'), and I also had a problem (with slightly different symptoms) with the composite adapter from Antonia Villenas. The difference being that your board requires a male-male VGA cable.
I'm using this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JQ1M7MW
I got the IO board from MisterAddons.com, so I wasn't expecting it to be that (although anything is possible).

I'm going to continue running some tests before asking more questions; I now have an additional DE-10 and will receive another IO board in a couple of days, so I'll basically have two of everything and can be more thorough in analyzing what's happening.
retrorepair

Very strange, they're working fine for everyone else as far as I'm aware and all were tested prior to dispatch. That VGA cable *should* be ok, so long at pin 9 is connected either end (might be worth checking with a multimeter?).

Sounds simple but also make sure composite sync = 1 in the mister.ini and no scalers etc are enabled.

Does it not work at all or the output is black and white?
retrorepair

Also interested which output your testing and on what device? Shouldn't matter but you never know.
dshadoff
Core Developer

I'll check the cable for pin 9 this afternoon. There was no display at all, so this is certainly one of the potential culprits.
composite sync = 1 in mister.ini
(The Anotonio Villenas adapter would display properly for about a second, then totally blank for a second, and repeat).

I'm using a Commodore 1701 monitor which I also use with my PC Engine/TurboGrafx consoles... so that's the piece of the equation which I am most confident about.

I'm using the Genesis-style output, in conjunction with a cable I have used on a TerraOnion SSDS3 in the past.
retrorepair

dshadoff wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:04 pm I'm using the Genesis-style output, in conjunction with a cable I have used on a TerraOnion SSDS3 in the past.
Just to verify this part, are you using a genesis composite or rgb cable? I've never used an SSDS3 but though the port looks the same, is it definitely pin compatible?
dshadoff
Core Developer

Genesis Composite.
dshadoff
Core Developer

OK, I confirmed that my VGA cable does not pass the power through pin 9.
Any advice on a cable that does ?
retrorepair

It's actually quite unusual in my experience but I guess as it's not usually used it can happen.

I had success with this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232770800451

Any of the cheap cables with blue plugs worked for me too, actually any VGA cable I've thrown at it so think you got unlucky.
dshadoff
Core Developer

OK, I got the the adapter working, as I was able to finally find a cable that works (I did a purge about 5 years ago).
The picture is quite nice, and now I see what people are talking about with the dot crawl.
Rather than distract this thread further from your intended purpose, I'll start a new thread in the display section to describe this and compare against the other adapter.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Wow. just wow.

The VGA cable I had used to get this adapter working was borrowed, so I ordered yet another one... and it also failed to connect pin 9 from end to end.
This is really irritating.

Based on my average (4 out of 5 fail on the cables), this is likely to be an issue that other people may experience.
retrorepair

Wow, I think you've had a pretty serious run of bad luck because you're the only one that's mentioned this out of 30 odd people!

If you could share your bad cables (if there's anything that you can identify them by) it may help others to avoid them going forward.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Sure.

2 were already in my possession; 2 were purchased from Amazon.

From Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JQ1M7MW
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0781876KT

Already in my possession:
VGA cable which came with Dell U3011 monitor (*)
generic VGA cable I found in my closet, don't recall where it came from.

Note that there are various cables on Amazon and other places which you can tell before buying, that they won't carry the power along pin 9; those cables would be the ones which don't have all 15 pins placed in the male connectors.

Pin 9 is in the middle row of pins, is the second pin in this row, counting from the indented side.

Searching Amazon for cables, about 30% of them are missing this pin, so avoid those.

Next, I'm going to try a gender changer.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0732SHF14

(*) Note that the cable which came with the Dell U3011 monitor was one which was missing pins (see above); all the other ones I tried had all pins.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Well, that's interesting.
The gender changer does conduct the +5V, and produces a different result than the previous "working" cable I was able to find.

Because of the position of the audio in socket on the mAVster_MD2 board matched with the shortness of the gender changer, I didn't have a cable at hand to pass audio from the MiSTer to the mAVster_MD2 board (awkward physical dimensions), so this round of testing was just about the picture.

...But the picture was much better than with previous "working" cable, and with lower impact of the dot crawl.
This is a big improvement, and I'll add to the comparison thread.
elvis

Unread post by elvis »

Thank you for adding a PAL option, matching crystal and selector switch. Mighty kind of you.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Add this one to the list of cables that do not work....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZL3HLO/

Which is too bad because I bought this as it's advertised it has nice shielding to the cable. This cable works fine on my VGA computer monitor. But it does not work with MD2. I can only assume they only connected the necessary pins for the video to work with VGA computer monitors but did not bother connecting pin 9.
Murderface1982

Unread post by Murderface1982 »

Will you be doing another run?? I'm pissed I missed this.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Will this work with Direct Video turned on using one of those DAC HDMI/VGA converters?
retrorepair

Murderface1982 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm Will you be doing another run?? I'm pissed I missed this.
Yes, I've added a new pre-order to the webstore.
shertz wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:38 am Will this work with Direct Video turned on using one of those DAC HDMI/VGA converters?
No it won't as I believe those don't provide power on pin 9 of the VGA connector. I think I may add an additional power source to this board, that way any 240p/480i signal over VGA would work.

I am also going to start offering cables with the pcb to avoid any confusion with cables with have pin 9 connected and those which don't.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

retrorepair wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:30 pm
Murderface1982 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm Will you be doing another run?? I'm pissed I missed this.
Yes, I've added a new pre-order to the webstore.
shertz wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:38 am Will this work with Direct Video turned on using one of those DAC HDMI/VGA converters?
No it won't as I believe those don't provide power on pin 9 of the VGA connector. I think I may add an additional power source to this board, that way any 240p/480i signal over VGA would work.

I am also going to start offering cables with the pcb to avoid any confusion with cables with have pin 9 connected and those which don't.
You may also consider on future revisions of an option of using some kind of external power maybe even using a USB charger for people who want use mavster with direct video.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

I would love to see a powered version that does it's own c-sync conversion to use with other sources.
retrorepair

shertz wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:58 am You may also consider on future revisions of an option of using some kind of external power maybe even using a USB charger for people who want use mavster with direct video.
The original design had it, I think it will likely return.
retrorepair

I'm thinking this will be my last run of this board, between component sourcing issues and wanting to spend more time with my family this project is easy to let go of.

For anyone on the fence, this is just a heads up.

https://misterbits.fwscart.com/product_ ... 14892.aspx
Bahn Yuki

Unread post by Bahn Yuki »

Does this work with other sources? I have an rpi 4 I can get rgbs out of but I can't get svideo. This would be great as a rgbs to svideo convertor
telengard

Unread post by telengard »

Any still available? Site says sold out. :(

Late to the game, was hoping I could connect my MiSTer to my 1702.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

telengard wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:33 pm Any still available? Site says sold out. :(

Late to the game, was hoping I could connect my MiSTer to my 1702.
Unfortunately the mAVster is the only one known that works with the 1702. I've seen converter boxes on eBay but have no idea if they work with mister or the 1702.

I was really hoping Antonio would fix the issue with his converter but I don't think that's going to happen
Doodlesmurf

Unread post by Doodlesmurf »

Retrorepair,

Received my adapter today, and I have adjusted INI settings and the VGA 5V jumper as instructed. I'm connecting to a crt through an MD2 composite cable set. The screen does appear, however its quite dim and has a green tint, is this a common occurance?

Very excited to see my childhood games in composite glory, thanks for putting this together!