No video from HDMI

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Raymondday

No video from HDMI

Unread post by Raymondday »

Got the case for my MisTer the https://misteraddons.com/products/official-mister-case took like a month or more to get it.

Installed it and I had to file out some holes bigger for it to fit but it did.

Hooked up just the power and HDMI and LED let's came on and flashing I let it go about a minute and unplug the power and back in and now it don't turn on.

The next day today found another power I could use and it lights up again. I guess the power supply I got with it did not have the amps to work with the USB board that came with this case.

But it's still not getting video out the HDMI.

I am thinking it messed up the firmware in it not sure. Any way for me to install a new firmware in it?

Do have a fresh formatted SD card on it that I used MiSTer SD Card Utility.exe to put on the SD card so it should be good.

Hope some one can help. I put this on 2 TV's both no display.

Plug in the SVGA and my LCD says resolution not supported.

My be the same for the HDMI but both LCD TV's just said no video.

-Raymond Day
_paul_

Re: No video from HDMI

Unread post by _paul_ »

Can you try to set

Code: Select all

dvi_mode=1
in the mister.ini file? This got me HDMI video output on some monitors.
Raymondday

How do I get to that file? I put the SD card in my Windows only could see some files. So mounted partition 2 on my Ubuntu server. Looks like that's the OS of it.

Did a find /media/m -name mister.ini it came back right away with nothing. /media/m is were I mounted the 2nd partition of the SD card.

Did the same on partition 1 that is exFat and it did not find a mister.ini on that.

It just has.

Config dir
System Volume Information dir
menu.rbf
MiSTer

files and dir's.

In config dir it has one file .keep.

System Volume Information it has 2 files a IndexerVolumeGuid and WPSettings.dat The Dat file just had some bin code in it.

Can't mount partition 3 I get this error:

mount: /media/m: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdo3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

-Raymond Day
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

Raymondday wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:05 am How do I get to that file? I put the SD card in my Windows only could see some files. So mounted partition 2 on my Ubuntu server. Looks like that's the OS of it.
Also quite new to MiSTer and I got my system from a previous owner so I am not confident that my setup is typical.

However, if I browse my SD card using Windows I get a number of file folders for the different cores and in the root there is a file called MiSTer.ini which contains (unsurprisingly) initialisation settings.

There should be a file called MiSTer_example.ini containing a typical setup.
Raymondday

Today got a 5 volt 4 amp power supply. It works with this Mister. I had a 256GB SD card in it. Thought maybe it will not work with it. So I got a 32GB SD card and used Etcher to put the image on it. mr-fusion-v2.1.img.zip don't even have to unzip it Etcher will do that.

Then put it in and I even got down a old SVGA monitor and it has it's 15 pin cable built in. Still get no video!

The Lights on the Mister the 2 out side ones take turns flashing and that's all I got.

Do I have to plug in a mouse and keyboard? I don't have that plug in just want to make sure it gets video first.

Installed this case with the board and can't get it to do video now.

-Raymond Day
Raymondday

All right! I did it.

After it did not get video I pulled the power and put the SD card in my Windows 10 and there was a .ini file but with sample on in the name. I renamed it took off the sample and found the dvi_mode= line it was set to 0 I put it to 8 there has a list in the file saying what each number does and 8 is 1080 at 60FPS I know my 4K TV can do that and plug it in and now get video!

-Raymond Day
DJ_Eatch

Unread post by DJ_Eatch »

Sorry to ressurect this, but i seem to have a similar issue. My Mister will not output anything over HDMI via my samsung TV (with all ini settings at their default values). However, using the same cables, it works fine on my odd resolution monitor (1680x1050).
I have tied changing the vsync and video mode options, but it just won't recognize it.
the TV is a Samsung QE65Q9FN - and has never refused to show a picture before :-s
DJ_Eatch

Unread post by DJ_Eatch »

To answer my own post..... turns out it is cable specific. but must be something the old monitor doens't care about and the new TV did. So swapped to another cable (fairly newish) and it works fine now :-D - still i'm a member now, so that's a plus side.