How to deal with things like keyboards?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
guddler

How to deal with things like keyboards?

Unread post by guddler »

General topic. How are people generally dealing with odd keyboards and the like when it comes to the computer based cores for MiSTer? A classic example of what I'm getting at here is the Spectrum. Unless you're going exclusively for the +3 then it's a nightmare trying to use one with a standard PC keyboard, but what else can you do? For some cores, like Minimig then you have the option of building the MiSTer into something like an A600 should you happen to have a donor case (I do) and adding something like a Keyrah, but if I did that then sure, it would feel great for an Amiga-like system, but pretty useless for others.

My intent was always to use the MiSTer for my "general" old computer fix since I like to tinker with them but have no desire to get into collecting each and every one together with all the add-ons and adapters they'd need and just amassing a pile of hardware for someone to dispose of when I'm dead and gone.

So what to do? How to make the different systems feel anywhere near right? Just interested.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: How to deal with things like keyboards?

Unread post by Newsdee »

I've tried using ZX Spectrum stickers on a wireless keyboard, but I don't like how they feel after a while.

Still, if you want to try that you can find files to print here:
http://zxuno.speccy.org/descarga_e.shtml

The alternative is to have a good quality image of an original keyboard to refer to, usually things are mapped to the same location so its easy to find where they are.

The ideal option IMHO would be to have Cherry MX keycaps to put on a mechanical keyboard, but nobody is producing those as far as I know. It's possible to custom print but that is not cheap at all.
guddler

Re: How to deal with things like keyboards?

Unread post by guddler »

Thanks for that print out - that will help I think!