Using a USB ssd that has a cdfs partition

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
ghamson

Using a USB ssd that has a cdfs partition

Unread post by ghamson »

Hi,

I’m fairly new to Mister and I tried searching the forums but couldn’t find anything ... so hopefully this is not a repeat.

I have a RavPower 512Gb SSD USB drive that I would like to use but it doesn’t appear to be recognized. I suspect that the reason is because the first partition is a CDFS (non U3) based partition.

I tried deleting it with DiskPart in windows but it did not work and the manufacturer doesn’t provide software to remove.

So the question is... can I configure Mister to look at a particular partition on the connected USB drive?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Giles
MostroW

Re: Using a USB ssd that has a cdfs partition

Unread post by MostroW »

ghamson wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:13 am I tried deleting it with DiskPart in windows but it did not work and the manufacturer doesn’t provide software to remove.
What do you mean it did not work?
Did it throw an error or any other info why it failed?

What about using diskmanager from the computer management tools?
Try to remove the partition from there and recreate as a NTFS drive?
I'm wondering why a company would offer an SSD with a (virtual) cd based filesystem?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Start command prompt as administrator (easiest way is press windows key, type cmd, then ctrl+shift+enter)

type "diskpart" and press enter

type "list disk"

type "select disk #"

then type "clean"

then "exit"

Now this should have wiped out all partitions.

After this you can now make a new partition for whatever purpose. Personally I only use diskpart when I have issues using Disk Management. Otherwise I just use the utility "Disk Management" in windows.
birdybro~
ghamson

Unread post by ghamson »

@MostroW - USB drive just wasn't recognized at all... I tried with a Sandisk 16GB USB flash drive and that worked without issue... so I am assuming it was the CDFS partition being the issue. When I look at Disk Management in Windows... it comes up first and gets assigned its own drive letter.

@Aberu... I tried diskpart but tried to use Delete... I will try clean and see if that works... thanks for the quick reply to both of you... very much appreciated.
ghamson

Unread post by ghamson »

@Aberu

So I just tried DiskPart... when I clean the disk - it wipes the main partition but the CDFS partition remains as a separate volume.

When I try to remove the volume I get the error "DiskPart cannot delete volumes on removable media"

Is there a way to force the Mister OS to ignore the CDFS partition or am I just dreaming of a solution?

I have also contacted the manufacturer to see if they can help me remove it as they do not appear to have an app available to do such things on their support site.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

This youtube video should address your problem i think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbQT2mr3AS8

Hope this helps you solve your problem!
ghamson

Unread post by ghamson »

Just a quick update on this... on talking to the manufacturer... i can’t remove the CDFS partition... so I’m using a different device and all is up and running. Thanks for the replies and suggestions