Not able to run anything

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Biby

Not able to run anything

Unread post by Biby »

Hi guys, I'm not new in MISTer's thing but I don't consider myself an expert. Everything was fine since today, as my setup started to give me some problems. The board (DE10+128MB RAM+USB board+WIFI dongle) boots, linux part seems fine (update, OS, everything runs ok). I'm not able to run anything that involves FPGA: I launch the core, I select roms but that's it...nothing happens, just black screen. Even memtest starts but I'm not able to run it. The OS continues to respond. I've tried with a fresh start (new SD, new OS...it's the same). Any hint??
ComfySofa

Re: Not able to run anything

Unread post by ComfySofa »

Tried a fresh MicroSD Card?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Copy theypsilon's update-all to your scripts folder and run it. Sometimes the main and Linux side among other things needs to be updated properly together.
birdybro~
Biby

Unread post by Biby »

I've already tried with a new microsd and a fresh start (twice), just installing misterfusion and after that running mister update... Same result: I'm not able to execute anything. I've also removed SDRAM buy nothing has changed in its behavior
Biby

Unread post by Biby »

Is there any procedure to check if my board is broken?
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

It sounds like the FPGA isn't being programmed. What are the dip switches positions on your board? They coud be blocking programming from the SD card.

You can try using Quartus to upload an rbf via USB, or similar debugging, and if that doesnt work, contact Terasic.

Check the DE10 user manual for details on where the switches should be.
Biby

Unread post by Biby »

Switches are all in their position I've even checked them with a multimeter. I'm waiting for a USB blaster to test it like you suggested
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Attached is a picture of the proper switch configuration for MiSTer for the top and bottom switches pictured for reference.
Attachments
MiSTer-Switch-Configuration-Setup-FPGA.jpg
MiSTer-Switch-Configuration-Setup-FPGA.jpg (287.47 KiB) Viewed 6148 times
birdybro~
Biby

Unread post by Biby »

Hi Aberu, thank you very much for your reply. As I wrote they are all proper positioned and I've checked them with a multimeter. They are ok since the first day I've started use the board and everything was fine until a week ago...suddenly the board stopped to work, black screen after rom selection, Linux part is ok and completely working.
ldeveraux

Unread post by ldeveraux »

I had the same issue. I run through the settings get everything working, then my screen goes black when I select a core or script.

edit: turns out I was only using a 1A power supply. Using a 2A PSU fixed it!
Biby

Unread post by Biby »

I'm using the original PSU that came with the kit. I've tried to change it with another one but nothing has changed. Pretty sure it's broken the board itself
ldeveraux

Unread post by ldeveraux »

Biby wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am I'm using the original PSU that came with the kit. I've tried to change it with another one but nothing has changed. Pretty sure it's broken the board itself
I think I was using the original PSU as well. But if you addon anything it increases the power draw and the device just fails. Try higher power!
Biby

Unread post by Biby »

What are the specifics?
svensonson

Unread post by svensonson »

same here. I just hooked up the mister for the first time in months. ran the update.sh but none of the updated cores will start. almost all are giving me a black screen. older nes, snes neo geo core releases seem to open fine. I tried to wipe the sd card and ran the update_all but still non of the updated cores will run on my mister. really strange.
svensonson

Unread post by svensonson »

Alright. I got it sorted.
For some reason it kept showing me a SSL TLSV Errors during any update procedure. I did ran the security_fix.sh to make sure everyhing is up2date and disabled the firewall. I kept keeping the error with almost any update.sh I tried.
I ran the updater_pc instead and copied the files manually to my sd card. all cores are working fine now!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

I keep a regular backup of my MiSTer games folder, saves, etc... Just because I'm a tinkerer and occasionally I have to redo my MicroSD card. Probably for the best if everyone tries to do this :P. Randomly stuff gets messed up and a reinstall usually fixes it for me.
birdybro~
obitus1990

Unread post by obitus1990 »

Hello! I am new to the MiSTer, and seem to be having this same issue. Everything works on the linux side of things after running the install script, and I have run the update_all script. I can select cores, but, after I configure, say, the Commodore 64 Core's settings to tell it what .D64 I want it to run (which is indeed stored in a games folder), nothing happens. Black screen Same if I try with the Minimig core and others. I have read each core file's wiki on the github sub section for each, and have followed the instructions fore each, but nothing works for me. I have a 2A power supply, so I don't think that it is a power issue as others mention above.

Any ideas?
obitus1990

Unread post by obitus1990 »

Solved my issue... after running the memtest "core" I determined my SDRAM daughter board was not being detected. Since I soldered this entire kit up myself, I went back and checked the soldering on the SDRAM board, and found about 3 leads which were not properly soldered in place. I reflowed these three joints and it now works perfectly.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Wow, good job!
birdybro~