Question about custom aspect ratios.

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
SegaSnatcher

Question about custom aspect ratios.

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

First wanted to say thanks for adding this option, its a good compromise.

Though one thing isn't clear, how do you actually make custom aspect ratios? We aren't all skilled programmers so it'd be nice if there was some kind of readme to explain how you can actually implement them. Thanks
justaguy

Re: Question about custom aspect ratios.

Unread post by justaguy »

I wrote a quick guide here. TL;DR: the values of custom_aspect_ratio_1 and custom_aspect_ratio_2 in MiSTer.ini will be selectable as aspect ratios alongside "Original" and "Full Screen" in supported cores. You don't need to convert to a decimal value or anything, just use the typical aspect ratio notation, e.g. "4:3" (without the quotes).
MJY71

Re: Question about custom aspect ratios.

Unread post by MJY71 »

These are the custom aspect ratios for NES that I added to the MiSTer.ini if anyone wants to try them with Hide Overscan set to On:

Code: Select all

[NES]
custom_aspect_ratio_1=8:7
custom_aspect_ratio_2=47:40
I really prefer 47:40. It's just slightly wider than 8:7. It's based on a visible resolution of 256x232, and across all of the games I have tried so far it has provided the best round and square assets that were 'intended' to be that way (in my opinion, of course).