My DE-10 nano died

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
jca
Top Contributor

My DE-10 nano died

Unread post by jca »

It was working fine yesterday but when I powered it up today only the power LED and the fan came on.
I replaced the SD card with another one, same thing.
I removed everything and powered the DE-10 nano, same thing.
I wiggled the DE-10 nano in case of bad contact, same thing.
I checked my power supply which is OK.
The only thing I can think of is that I powered my USB hub before powering the DE-10 nano.
Would this explain the premature death of the DE-10 nano?
What can I check to figure out what is wrong?
Thanks.
Brettster

Re: My DE-10 nano died

Unread post by Brettster »

I've had a similar issue to this since the first day I got my DE10. Sometimes I just have to power it off and on again and it all boots up fine.
hope this isnt a sign that mines about to die too!

do you get any output from the HDMI when you power it up?
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
tankjr

Unread post by tankjr »

I can’t imagine powering the USB hub while not powering the DE-10 nano would kill it. It’s certainly possible though, because not every USB hub is created equally. I would carefully inspect the DE-10 nano’s traces and solder joints. It’s possible something got in there and is causing a short. These things really ought to be in a protective case. I feel bad every time I handle mine bare-handed and unprotected :?
rgavril

Unread post by rgavril »

Make sure you haven't changed the SW10 dip switches by mistake, compare them to one from this image:
https://misterfpga.co.uk/mister-de10-na ... -settings/
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks for all your answers.
My MISTer is not yet in a case but I am very careful with it. The only thing I do is to power it on/off, I did not take out the SD card in ages as I always use ftp or ssh. When this happened I had the MISTer powered off the previous evening and just powered it the next day. In between I did not get near it. I tried with a different SD card (not up to date but it does not matter). I disconnected everything and powered the bare DE-10 nano with just the SD card. I wiggled the switches but the wrong ones, I will try again later with the right ones but my MISTer has been running for a long time with them set properly. I mentioned that I powered the USB hub first but I do not believe that is the problem. I also dusted the board as there was a tiny bit of very fine dust due to the fan.
NO LEDs on besides power and no HDMI out. I am puzzled.
I emailed Terasic and got a very fast answer. I will try what they said later on and after I find the original Terasic SD card or make a new one. I mentioned the thing about the USB hub but they did not say anything about that. I will examine the board very carefully with my magnifying glasses.
I am not very optimistic about it as this happened "by itself" overnight.
I will let you know if I find something. For the time being my Amazon order is almost ready and as I wanted to upgrade the memory I see that MisterAddons sells it on Amazon. Does anyone has experience with them? I also see that the Chinese took the opportunity (as usual) and sell I/O boards, memory boards; No thanks!
someone31988

Unread post by someone31988 »

Wow, mine appears to have done the same thing. I had moved it from one CRT TV to another and when I decided to fire it up tonight to play some games, I got zero video output.

I've tried the following:
  • Connect via HDMI to OLED TV > no output
  • Tried the other CRT TV > no output
  • Removed USB hub, I/O board, and SDRAM and tried the bare DE-10 Nano connected to the OLED TV > no output
  • Tried a different memory card with a fresh image > no output
  • Checked the dipswitches > they're correct
I'm not sure what else to do here. Did the thing really just crap out on me when I moved it 10 feet across the room?
tankjr

Unread post by tankjr »

someone31988 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:40 am I'm not sure what else to do here. Did the thing really just crap out on me when I moved it 10 feet across the room?
Is the room carpeted? Static may have damaged your board.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Update:
I have been really busy at work and at home; I also was so pissed that I did not come close to the cadaver.
Yesterday I decided to have a look:
After 2 weeks laying down no stinky rotten smell. That was a good sign.
Upon examination with magnifier no broken bone, arteries, ... Another good sign.
When the DE-10 nano died I wanted to wiggle the dip switches but I was so upset that I wiggled the slide switches. It did not look right at the time but after spending a lot of time figuring out what was wrong I decided to leave it like that before I broke anything.
So yesterday I wiggled each micro switch 4 times to give them enough wiggle and reset them to their original position.
I powered the DE-10 nano and ........ it came back to life, it was just in a coma.
I powered it down, reconnected everything, ran the update script and so far everything is fine.
I guess the dip switches are not of the best quality.
OriginalXOR

Unread post by OriginalXOR »

Sometimes I have noticed if the SD card is not inserted properly the DE10 doesn't boot. Must admit it's caused me a few heart stopping moments, but I've learned to check for this if my DE10 doesn't power on as expected.
Ripper61

Unread post by Ripper61 »

OriginalXOR wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:39 pm Sometimes I have noticed if the SD card is not inserted properly the DE10 doesn't boot. Must admit it's caused me a few heart stopping moments, but I've learned to check for this if my DE10 doesn't power on as expected.
I had a similar heart stopping moment with a Raspberry Pi until I realised that I had omitted to insert its SD card. The other is when you have 2 switches controlling the power and you only turn one on.