MiSTer DE10-Nano Power Supply

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
poorcomputerman

MiSTer DE10-Nano Power Supply

Unread post by poorcomputerman »

Does anyone have a recommendation of larger power supply for the De-10 nano? I have many boards and devices and want to make sure that it receives enough power. I was thinking about something on the lines of 5 amps. I am in the USA.
Nat

Re: MiSTer DE10-Nano Power Supply

Unread post by Nat »

Any of the Mean Well desktop power supplies are excellent quality.

I provide the MiSTer Upgraded 4 Amp Power Supply on my website.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

I got a Triad Magnetics 4 amp unit zerohimself was selling. I have wireless usb keyboard, 4x usb wireless controllers, and usb wifi, and have not had any issues so far. I had been using the stock unit with just the keyboard and 2x controllers, and switched over to the 4 amp unit after adding more accessories. I did not try the stock power supply with all the accessories, though, so I do not know if it would have been ok.
Kreeblah

Unread post by Kreeblah »

I've been using a Mean Well GST25B05-P1J for a while, and it works great. It's 4A, though, not 5. If you really want 5 or more, they do make the GST60A05-P1J, which is a 6A supply. Neither of these comes with a cable to connect it to the wall, though, so you need to buy that separately.

It sounds like the original poster already knows this, but for anybody else reading, make sure that any aftermarket power supply you buy is a 5V supply. If it outputs more than 5V, you can fry things, and if it outputs less, you may see weird behavior (if it's even enough to get the DE10-Nano to turn on).
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

Like the previous posters, I also have a Mean Well 5v/4a supply and it works just fine. I also just bought a “travel” adapter that uses a barrel plug to usb cable + a 5v/3a usb wall brick. I haven’t used that one for any extended play sessions yet, but it also seems to work just fine.
kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

I currently have a 5V/2A power adapter for my MiSter and I do have the I/O board with extra USB ports. I also have a USB dongle for my 8bit SN30 Pro controller and I want to add a portable external harddrive that does not require additional power adapter to offload my Sega CD/TG16 CD collection to my harddrive. Will a 5V/2A power adapter be enough or which size power adapter do I need?
Nat

Unread post by Nat »

kubbie wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:19 pm I currently have a 5V/2A power adapter for my MiSter and I do have the I/O board with extra USB ports. I also have a USB dongle for my 8bit SN30 Pro controller and I want to add a portable external harddrive that does not require additional power adapter to offload my Sega CD/TG16 CD collection to my harddrive. Will a 5V/2A power adapter be enough or which size power adapter do I need?
If you intend to use the stock power supply with a mechanical hard drive, you may experience problems with insufficient power from a standard 2A supply, just test and see, if its not enough upgrade your power supply. 4A supply is more than enough you would struggle to max it out.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
SegaSnatcher

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

I'm using the Triad Zerohimself sold me. Works great.
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

ash2fpga wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 am I got a Triad Magnetics 4 amp unit zerohimself was selling.
SegaSnatcher wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:50 pm I'm using the Triad Zerohimself sold me. Works great.
Which model number is that exactly? DigiKey lists several variants.
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

poorcomputerman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:32 pm Does anyone have a recommendation of larger power supply for the De-10 nano? I have many boards and devices and want to make sure that it receives enough power. I was thinking about something on the lines of 5 amps. I am in the USA.
I use a Mean Well GST60A05-P1J, because of the USB hub board by ultimatemister.com that feeds power off the DE10-Nano by touching the power lane with a tiny fork. It has 6A and works flawless. This hub board is great, by the way.
SegaSnatcher

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

keith.f.kelly wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:43 am
ash2fpga wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 am I got a Triad Magnetics 4 amp unit zerohimself was selling.
SegaSnatcher wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:50 pm I'm using the Triad Zerohimself sold me. Works great.
WSU050-4000
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

SegaSnatcher wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:09 pm
keith.f.kelly wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:43 am
WSU050-4000
Same model number here. (Not surprising being from the same seller. :))
MrX_Cuci

Unread post by MrX_Cuci »

I can't seem to find any in the surrounding area. I wonder if this one would work: Mean Well GST40A05-P1J
keith.f.kelly

Kreeblah wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:25 am I've been using a Mean Well GST25B05-P1J for a while, and it works great.

[...]

Neither of these comes with a cable to connect it to the wall, though, so you need to buy that separately.
Thanks for the info! I'd been using a 5V 2.5A supply with inline switch intended for a Raspberry Pi 3B+, which I had cut the microUSB end off of and soldered the correct barrel connector onto instead. But I don't think it was quite cutting it, because I was occasionally hitting random reboots, and I noticed the inline switch was getting shockingly warm, suggesting it wasn't really able to handle the current draw well.

So instead, I ordered and just today received the following items:
  • Mean Well GST25B05-P1J
  • PLUSPOE 2-Pack Male to Female Inline DC Power Extension Cable with On Off Switch, 5.5x2.1mm Barrel (5A capable)
  • Cable Matters 2-Pack Non-Polarized 2 Slot Power Cord (2 Slot Power Cable) 6 Feet (NEMA 1-15P to IEC C7)
I hooked it all up and tried it out briefly, and it seems good. I'm going to let the NeoGeo core run a game on an attract mode loop for a couple hours to see if the inline switch stays cooler and the MiSTer is more stable. I'll report back later with results.
keith.f.kelly

keith.f.kelly wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:28 pm I hooked it all up and tried it out briefly, and it seems good. I'm going to let the NeoGeo core run a game on an attract mode loop for a couple hours to see if the inline switch stays cooler and the MiSTer is more stable. I'll report back later with results.
Hooray! It's been running the past few hours. No more random restarts, and the inline switch (and cables and power brick) are all staying nice and cool.
mbalmer

Unread post by mbalmer »

The power supply I switched to is the Adafruit 5V 4A power supply. It's pretty much a drop-in replacement, and since it uses a standard figure-eight style plug to go to the wall outlet, it allows me to keep the transformer box out of the way much better than the wall wart that comes with the DE-10.

Adafruit 5V 4A switching power supply
Zorlac

Unread post by Zorlac »

I was me, but now he's gone!
outatime

Unread post by outatime »

I heard it should not be more than 5V 3A. Is there no general standard info, everybody has a different experience.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

And why no more then 3A?

Powersupplys/transformers can have as many A as possible and it will not hurt anything at all.
If they have a Amp rating near what the load will be that is waaaaaaaayyyyy more dangerous then having more A then needed.

Crappy Powersupplys/transformers (that sadly not always mean cheapcheap) are often overrated a bit and can then start give out low/high Volt/ripple/etc when near max, which depending of what it power could hurt/kill it.
Also most Powersupplys/transformers that are NOT overrated will be most efficient (and have the cleanest power) at around 50% load and almost as good at 25-75%.

The only time a very,very high A rating compared to the load can be bad is when something on/in the load goes wrong, for example the de-10 nano develop a short or gets shorted by maybe a screwdriver.
THEN the resulting damage can (note: CAN, and not will) get worse since more Amp=more heat=potential for more damage, but in both cases (1, normal A for the load, 2, high A for the load) the chance the De-10 nano will take damage/die is almost the same.
outatime

Unread post by outatime »

5V 3A (15 Watts) is recommend by Terasic
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

You can't really get much more than 3A flowing over 5V (yeah, I've seen 4+ amp power supplies too...and when you measure the current at max draw, it's either nowhere near that or the transformer melts).
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

According to that magic number 12V transformers/powersupply can not have more then 7,2A then?
3/5*12=7,2
So for example Seasonic gives out a massive lie (AND anandtechs measurements lies too) that their https://www.anandtech.com/show/14338/th ... psu-review have 62A on the 12V line and 20A on the 5V (AND 3,3V that should melt 10 times over by the same magic) line?

And the opposite to transformer/powersupply should also be fairly close, (an electric motor that is) if a transformer/psu can not handle more then 3A5V then a motor that is very close to a transformer in construction should handle fairly close to the same amount of power.
A 12v starter motor this for example https://dkengineparts.com/product/m1180928/
12V 3Kw=12V 3000W=250A is that also a "small" lie?
rhester72
Top Contributor

I was, of course, talking about "wall-wart" power supplies suitable for powering SBCs.

I'm sure I could use a step-down transformer and power something directly from a nuclear reactor, but that would be similarly ridiculous.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

rhester72 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:39 pm You can't really get much more than 3A flowing over 5V (yeah, I've seen 4+ amp power supplies too...and when you measure the current at max draw, it's either nowhere near that or the transformer melts).
Can you link some of these test?
And preferably a test on a known good wallwart and not some crappy china crap that will always be bad and overrated and not only on wallarts but basicly everything.
rhester72
Top Contributor

The tests are pretty much all over every SBC forum ever over a period of over 5 years - I can't say that I have a specific one handy.

If you can point me in the direction of a _branded_ wall-wart that delivers above 3A, I'd be obliged.