MiSTer USB and Power Nightmares with DE-10

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
aristogeiton

MiSTer USB and Power Nightmares with DE-10

Unread post by aristogeiton »

My USB hub requires power when even one other device is present with the Wireless adapter (Edimax EW-7822ULC AC1200). The problem is, the hub then powers the DE-10. The switch that I use to turn off the DE-10 won't work more often than not, and the device continues to draw power from the hub. How can I fix this?
Rikko

Re: MiSTer: USB and power nightmares with DE-10

Unread post by Rikko »

Correct me if I'm wrong... you have your DE-10, with it's power supply, then you have your USB Hub, with it's own power supply. You want to switch off DE-10, but it does not switch off, correct?

The easiest way to fix this is to cut the +5V line between the DE-10 and the USB Hub. There are various ways to achieve this. On mine, I've opened the cable, and disconnected the +5V (normally red), then closed the cable back. All other lines need to remain connected.

Alternatively, you could buy two USB ports, one male one female. Solder them together, omitting the +5V.

I'm sure others have more ideas.
128Mb v2.5 @150MHz
USB Hub v2.1
IO Board v6.1
built, not bought
ToothbrushThreepwood

Re: MiSTer USB and Power Nightmares with DE-10

Unread post by ToothbrushThreepwood »

Couldn’t you use a splitter cable between the switch and your MiSTer to power both DE-10 Nano and hub from the same source/PSU? That’s what I’ve done, if I’ve understood your issue correctly.
rsn8887

Re: MiSTer USB and Power Nightmares with DE-10

Unread post by rsn8887 »

Or just buy a better hub. Amazon Basics 10 port powered usb2 hub works fine with me. It doesn't power the de10, but it powers the other devices connected. They cost nothing.