What new console, handheld or arcade core do you think will be released in 2021?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
aberu
Core Developer

Re: What new console, handheld or arcade core do you think will be released in 2021?

Unread post by aberu »

I could see PS1 core being in beta with a few games bootable probably this summer. It's going faster than people probably think. But a full complete feeling experience I would predict fall or winter 2021.

If the PS1 core gets done successfully, there are some major components then which would be completed which make up the Namco System 12 arcade board (https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=535), which could then very well be done in FPGA at that point. It's basically a slightly modified PSX motherboard and chips. And the same goes for the Namco System 11 (http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=533). The arcade board potential from a working PS1 core is pretty good.

Also the Capcom Sony ZN-2 could be done as well if the PS1 is completed. It actually uses Q Sound (which jotego is already mostly completed I think) instead of the PS1 SPU, but has all the other hardware from the PS1. If the PS1 gets done, it really opens up a lot of other stuff potentially. Add the ZN-1 on there too apparently. Same kinda deal.

To those who are saying saturn is impossible on the MiSTer, I'd push back on that. It's more complex, but it won't necessarily take more space. I do think if we do see it, that it would be in 2022 though. If ElectronAsh and a few others I've talked to thinks it's doable, I'll take their word for it. ;)

N64 is probably impossible on the MiSTer, but Mazamars is making good progress from my understanding on his more expensive development board. :)
birdybro~
ARCADEAGES

Re: What new console, handheld or arcade core do you think will be released in 2021?

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

In 2021 we're going to (hopefully) see:

- 2nd X68000 core by Jotego -

Jotego mentioned this himself. Someone asked if he would be contributing to the existing core, and he said no. It will be a brand-new core done from scratch. Jotego choosing to do this is the result of a request from one of his top-tier Patreons.

- SEGA System-16 by Jotego -

Jotego has been talking about this board-set for a long time, and only paused on it when MiSTer-X said they'd do it. MiSTer-X has been inactive for an extended time on his core, and it does not look like he will be able to return any time soon. System-16 is a personal favourite of Jotego's.

- Konami Aliens by RndMnkIII -

I'm less confident in this prediction as this is the author's first core. He seems to be making useful progress though! Another reason I think this core will come out is I just bought the PCB, so that means a core is coming out :lol:
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

ARCADEAGES wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:58 pm In 2021 we're going to (hopefully) see:

Jotego mentioned this himself. Someone asked if he would be contributing to the existing core, and he said no. It will be a brand-new core done from scratch. Jotego choosing to do this is the result of a request from one of his top-tier Patreons.

Jotego has been talking about this board-set for a long time, and only paused on it when MiSTer-X said they'd do it. MiSTer-X has been inactive for an extended time on his core, and it does not look like he will be able to return any time soon. System-16 is a personal favourite of Jotego's.

I'm less confident in this prediction as this is the author's first core. He seems to be making useful progress though! Another reason I think this core will come out is I just bought the PCB, so that means a core is coming out :lol:
The last two would make my whole damn year :lol:
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I don't think the first 2 have been confirmed yet? Realistically Jotego will still be busy with CPS2 for the next few months.
matthewpont

Unread post by matthewpont »

ARCADEAGES wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:58 pm In 2021 we're going to (hopefully) see:

I'd love SEGA System-16 and Konami Aliens too. Shinobi and Aliens are my two favourite arcade games!

Also, like you, I bought an Aliens PCB last month, and this almost certainly means that a core will be released for it!

(If I'm greedy, I'd also love a Data East core, so I can play Robocop)
sid

Unread post by sid »

I'm hoping for the release of the atari falcon core someday
axebox

Unread post by axebox »

ExCyber wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:52 am
431Unknown wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 pm I think its a shame no one has been working on arcade cores for any of the Gradius arcade games, Lifeforce / Salamander, R-Type, or Image Fight.
I did a first pass at Gradius a while ago, but sort of burned myself out on it trying to understand how the graphics rendering is actually supposed to work. Also, fully accurate timing/slowdown would probably require reverse-engineering of the original chipset.
What is the gameplay like without the slowdown accuracy? It's actually one of the projects that some have undertaken to remove slowdown from these types of games.
Kaeril

Unread post by Kaeril »

I would love to see the Wonderswan (B/W & Color) being worked on this year. I have no idea if it's already in the works somewhere.
NeoGeo Pocket would be another handheld I would like seeing this year.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I would love to see ElectronAsh working again on the Jaguar core. What he has achieved so far is already impressive for such an early version.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

axebox wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 pm What is the gameplay like without the slowdown accuracy? It's actually one of the projects that some have undertaken to remove slowdown from these types of games.
The issue of slowdown in arcade games is rather complex. In some games it might've been intentional, in others not so much, and down to weaker hardware/programming (eg Metal Slug 2). I suppose entirely removing it in some shoot'em ups would make them much harder, in some cases perhaps even unplayable.

Here are some different opinions regarding Cave's games:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=30
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39956
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

akeley wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:42 pm
axebox wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 pm What is the gameplay like without the slowdown accuracy? It's actually one of the projects that some have undertaken to remove slowdown from these types of games.
The issue of slowdown in arcade games is rather complex. In some games it might've been intentional, in others not so much, and down to weaker hardware/programming (eg Metal Slug 2). I suppose entirely removing it in some shoot'em ups would make them much harder, in some cases perhaps even unplayable.

Here are some different opinions regarding Cave's games:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=30
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39956
I thought Metal Slug X was the slowdown solution of Metal Slug 2.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

the_importer wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm I thought Metal Slug X was the slowdown solution of Metal Slug 2.
Yes, that's the point. It got fixed in X becasue the original one wasn't intentional. This perhaps deserves its own thread though...
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

Would be nice to see the Exidy Sorcerer appear in a roadmap. If only for the space I could gain selling the original hardware. 🙄

Of course, that’s not a console, handheld or arcade..
chris

Unread post by chris »

Virtual Boy would be pretty cool. I love rallying around things with the community every time something new is released, so honestly, I'll be happy with anything that's released.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

game & watch
gus0650

Unread post by gus0650 »

i am hoping for

Missile Command
Gradius
Salamander
RType
Marble Madness
Gyruss
Quartet
Juno First
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

I hold a candle for Nintendo's "Space Firebird" coinop. :-)
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (205.27 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

chris wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:25 pm Virtual Boy would be pretty cool. I love rallying around things with the community every time something new is released, so honestly, I'll be happy with anything that's released.
I would love for it to also support 3D output. I still have a 3D Plasma and that would be a great combo.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

twonunpackmule wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 pm
chris wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:25 pm Virtual Boy would be pretty cool. I love rallying around things with the community every time something new is released, so honestly, I'll be happy with anything that's released.
I would love for it to also support 3D output. I still have a 3D Plasma and that would be a great combo.
Same! I have lots of 3D displays, including an OLED one. They are all passive, so half over/under would work best on them to preserve the image quality. Though interlaced might work as well (maybe not with the OLED TV though).