Backup and Restore Using Win32 Disk Imager

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
elJonnyRage

Backup and Restore Using Win32 Disk Imager

Unread post by elJonnyRage »

I understand that for the initial install you need to use the Mister SD Card install utility. Once you have everything setup the way you want and you have added your roms, does anyone know if you are able to use Win32 Disk Imager to backup your image and restore it?
kfreiberg

Re: Backup and Restore Using Win32 Disk Imager

Unread post by kfreiberg »

I'm pretty sure that's the utility I used to make a backup image for my MiSTer SD card and it worked perfectly.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

I don't see why not.
But honestly I copy all my settings and config files to a external backup. And if I need to make a fresh SD card, i go with the newest Fision release
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
elJonnyRage

Unread post by elJonnyRage »

Thanks guys. I can confirm that backup and restore with Win32 Disk Imager works perfectly. I think the external backup method and MiSTer Fusion seems promising as well. I came across some info on MiSTer fusion earlier today actually. I will have to look into it more. Is it officially part of the MiSTer repo?
Azuris

Unread post by Azuris »

So i wanted to copy a image from a 32GB SD-Card to a 128GB one.
While it worked to copy it with Win32 Disk Imager, i wasn't able to regain the other ~90gb from the Cart with Disk Genius.(Copying the Image also copies the Size of the older cart)
It says a $Bitmap file is on some Cluster.

So i found somewhere that Disktuna can find such FIles, but it just doesn't work.

Anyone a Solution :) ?
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

I imagine you'll need to use a partition manager to resize/expand the partition to utilize that space.
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

The partition ING of the original card will simply be cloned so it will behave exactly like your old card. There's a number of partition managers available that can resize exFAT partitions, which is what you're looking to do. Products like Diskgenius should do the trick but I don't use Windows so I can't really vouch for any tools on that platform. The Linux installation on the MiSTer itself is very bare bones so I don't know for sure if it has the tools for this on board.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

There are also some scripts out there to backup your config and save files to Google Drive. Works well enough for me.
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Many of the file sync scripts (or their target locations) won't know what to make of symlinks. But if you don't use them anything like rsync or rclone should be golden. I use rclone myself to sync to my Nextcloud system, which in turn selectively backs things up to AWS S3. My collection of personal C64 floppies from the 80's now also lives there as D64 files since they are irreplaceable. Rclone really is incredibly versatile in what it will sync to and from.