More control of integer scaling.

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
HMPoweredMan

More control of integer scaling.

Unread post by HMPoweredMan »

Is there a way to force how many times the video is integer scaled?

It seems integer scaler always tries to fit the 720p resolution and will scale as many times as it can to fit the screen.

Can you force 1x image (no scaling) 2x or 3x?

I'm trying to use my capture card to capture the 720p signal and create an actual size image without having to scale it down afterwards which causes artifacts and strange geometry.

Basically Id just like the native core resolution displayed centered on the 720p image.

Possible?
Insert Disk Two

Re: More control of integer scaling.

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

You can disable it and it will just fill the screen. Result will be blurry though.
HMPoweredMan

Unread post by HMPoweredMan »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:29 pm You can disable it and it will just fill the screen. Result will be blurry though.
I suppose Ill take that as a "no" then
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I've mentioned in other threads that I'd also love to have more control over integer scaling, in my case to select integer scaling for horizontal, vertical or both dimensions (to fix artifacts with vertical scan-lines and horizontal scrolling) Your request is to be able to set the actual multiplication. Others have requested integer scaling that gets slightly cut off at the borders, I think that request and yours could possibly be combined.

So integer scaling options: off (image gets stretched to display boundaries, with correct aspect ratio), vertical (how it is now), horizontal (with correct aspect ratio), both (aspect ratio could be incorrect).
And then integer scaling: auto, 1x, 2x, 3x etc.

Though there could be a need for separate integer scaling factors for horizontal and vertical, which might be close to the correct ratio for some cores, the VIC-20 core for instance.

EDIT: These are typically options you'd want to set per core though. So maybe it should end up in the settings UI of the cores instead of config.ini.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

As asked, no.

If you are OK with working with different output resolutions, you could switch video_mode to be a mode too small to be scaled more than 1x.

Related to that, is if you want the x-axis to not be scaled, you would likely need to use the custom aspect ratio feature, on cores that support it anyway. Normally, the x-axis would be scaled to the aspect ratio, and in many cases is a non-integer multiplier.