Pi Pico Controller

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
morecoffee

Pi Pico Controller

Unread post by morecoffee »

The RPi foundation just released a new microcontroller. Could they have a place in the Mister environment? I don't know if it could be used to help connect/translate peripherals with precise timing or do anything the FPGA doesn't do well (or offload something to make more room in the FPGA).

I know this isn't the first microcontoller, but if the foundation can keep up with demand it is likely to become the hobby standard. Also, it appears they will sell the chips alone at some point if a Mister official board were to be made with it.

(mods: I am no expert so feel free deny the post if I'm completely off base and it would have no application to Mister, but I thought it was at least an interesting thought.)
darksakul

Re: Pi Pico Controller

Unread post by darksakul »

Pi Pico is more inline with what an Arduino or Teensy is than the rest of the Pi family.

I am sure there would be projects that incorporate or include the Pi Pico, but I don't see the Pi Pico being the mainstay of any MiSTer add ons or replacing the role of the Arduino or Teensy any time soon.

Plus there so many variants of the Arduino format now, that they all have their niche. I don't see the Pi Pico unrooting any of that.
If anything I see it as another tool in the box of many others tools available.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.