MiSTer suddenly stopped working, please help

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

MiSTer suddenly stopped working, please help

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I just turned on my MiSTer and noticed I couldn't connect to it anymore over the network. It also has no video output over HDMI or VGA anymore and my DS4 no longer connects with Bluetooth.

It still does the 'pumping' LED effect with the IO board. I've scanned and fixed the SD card, but that didn't help. Does this indicate a problem with the software, or is this most likely a hardware problem?

I have been using a 5A powersupply with it the last few weeks, without problems.

EDIT: If I turn it on without the SD card I don't get the pumping LEDs effect. Is it possible to re-install MiSTer without losing all my other files?

EDIT2: I'm running MiSTer Fusion from the 2GB card that was in my IO board. This seems to work. Apparently somehow the MiSTer installation on my 400GB card has become corrupted. I wonder if this was caused by an update to the MiSTer core itself, one of the other cores or maybe something with the config.ini when editing over the network.

It doesn't seem like a repair install without losing all your files is possible, as MiSTer Fusion is an image file you write to the SD card. I'll try to copy the files on the 2GB card over to my 400GB card to see if that will fix it.

EDIT3: Just copying over the menu.rbf, MiSTer and MiSTer.ini from the 2GB card didn't fix it. Now copying over everything, but I don't expect that to fix it either. I'm starting to think somehow the Linux side has become corrupted for some reason. I'm not sure how that works, if it is a separate partition and if you could copy that over.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer suddenly stopped working, please help

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Copying over all the files from the new install on the 2GB card seems to have fixed it. I guess I had a corrupted core.

For future reference, you should be able to do a repair install with the SD installer:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... n64_MiSTer

Just received that tip from user KnC on the MiSTer Discord.