How often/regularly do you use the MiSTer?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
grizzly

How often/regularly do you use the MiSTer?

Unread post by grizzly »

For me it goes in waves one week it gets used 5-6 hours a day, then it can be it´s not turned on for two weeks.
Mostly it is like that, as in heavy use or not at all.

It was/is the same when i used emulators on the pc (pi/etc is too weak for emulators for me, simple yes but to low speeds).
I do however think it has gotten a bit more "extreme" on the mister probably for two reasons.
1, I think i loose interest slower on the mister due to more "trouble free playing" like no inputlag, variable input lag, no sound hickups/crackling.
2, The mister is a separate device so to use the pc for anything i have to switch inputs on my screen, probably not a big deal but sometimes on the pc i probably meant to do something quick and forgot about the playing.

By extreme i mean play for a bit longer/more days, and probably also longer pauses between "rounds".
SegaSnatcher

Re: How often/regularly do you use the MiSTer?

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

I turn it on almost every day, even if I'm limited to only a few minutes of gaming.
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

I have my MiSTer in a bartop arcade cabinet in the corner of my apartment. I usually have some attract mode running while I go around doing mundane tasks that have to be done and I jump on every now and then as a reward for work done. Ever since I put a crt in the cab my daughter has become interested also. Yesterday she played so much magical drop that her arm muscles started to ache pretty bad but she regretted nothing :)
commander

Unread post by commander »

I put i on 3-4 times per week. Update the cores and have fun to see whats new :-)
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

Many times a week - As a C64, Amiga (my main two machines from my history), Arcade, exploring machines I never owned.......... the possabilities are endless.
Enthropy

Unread post by Enthropy »

I turn it on at least every other day. I have originally bought/built it as a Turbografx / SNES machine. But since that, I fell into a bottomless abyss of old computers. I am constantly messing with ZX Spectrum (my first computer ever) and Amiga and I am having a great time. It has brought so much joy into my life, that it finally made me create a Patreon account.
ragnar

Unread post by ragnar »

a few times a week. mostly when i want to hear some chipsounds. So, i guess, my mister is a very expensive musicplayer right now :lol:
• FireBee • Falcon030/040/060 • MiSTer • TT • (Mega)STe • Suska III-B • Suska III-C • (Mega)ST •
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

ragnar wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:35 pm So, i guess, my mister is a very expensive musicplayer right now :lol:
Better then a paperweight :mrgreen:
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

I recently got mine, so 1-2 a week I try a new arcade game core and beat it (if I can).

I would use it for consoles a lot more if save states were ever incorporated. I'm too old and too busy to get really good at old games and need the help beating some of them!
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

everyday since I got it two weeks ago. I have beaten DKC and now playing castlevania on FDS

having a blast

But since there is no save state, I prefer to play games that I can save for now, I only have like 2h every night to play so, I wont progress much If I have to practice a lot to advance a game playing from the beginning everytime.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

since i got my MiSTer, i have used it about every other day, and generally every day.

what keeps the MiSTer fresh for me is finding games i never knew about (little samson, SWOS, nhl 94, demon attack),
the games i grew up enjoying for the retro systems i did own,
and all the modern games/hacks that ive found for all the systems.

i was surprised to start finding modern games created for these retro systems, and id probably say those modern games are what keep me coming back to the MiSTer every day. specifically, those kaizo super mario world rom hacks on the SNES are something i play alot, but theres some great modern games/hacks for the SNES, NES, genesis, GB, 2600, and even the TGFX16.

i can say, after i setup a dedicated computer monitor and set the MiSTer up as a separate unit from my HDTV (so i can be playing a game and watching a podcast/youtube at the same time) it opens up my room and allows me to leave it on for longer periods of time.

the MiSTer is absolutely one of the coolest pieces of electronics ive bought in quite a while, and it seems like theres something new to play or progress on a core everyday. its at a point where the MiSTer is not just for the early adopters/tinkerers, but a solid choice for a FPGA "console"
Recoil

Unread post by Recoil »

I've been on the mister almost since the beginning and I use it 3 to 4 week. For me it's the best for retro games
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I admit that I tinker more than I play, but I really enjoy the GBA core and the Arcade cores. I was never a fan of using MAME and I use my Super Famicom NTT Data pad as my unofficial MiSTer controller since it plays every game flawlessly including 2nd gen consoles with their phone pad type controllers.

I need to play more often. I play a couple times a week. One thing I really like about MiSTer is that unintentionally it sort of has the feel of a subscription service like Netflix. It's like Xbox Game Pass, but way better imo. New content gets added every week and the good thing about MiSTer is unlike services like Netflix, you don't lose content, you keep gaining content over time :). IMO it's the highest quality and most convenient way to experience retro gaming.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Pretty much every day. I primarily use the Sega Genesis core and the ao486 core.
birdybro~
venalaine

Unread post by venalaine »

I would like to have a time to play every day but I don't. I use my Mister a couple of times in a week. Usually playing NES, SNES and Genesis stuff.
Ryuoken

Unread post by Ryuoken »

Almost every day!
noel

Unread post by noel »

I use it 2 or 3 times a week, mostly on Genesis TGFX16 and NES cores. I love the YM2612 output sound quality !
Retrogaming, arcade and pinball machines fan. Current project : Open Source Hardware ITX motherboard new design to host MiSTer FPGA cores. Wan't to support me ? https://www.patreon.com/nlemoult
zorrobandito

Unread post by zorrobandito »

A couple of times a week. I've messed with emulators for years and played the hell out of all my favourites like the Amiga and Megadrive for years. I've set myself up with a Pokemon-style mission - to play the most important games on their native hardware. e.g. Castle Wolfenstein on Apple II, Zarch on Archimedes, Metal Gear on MSX, Space War on PDP1 and many, many more.

This has kept me turning on the MISTer and exploring the alleyways of gaming history.