SD card corruption?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
rcade

SD card corruption?

Unread post by rcade »

On a couple of occasions, my MiSTer has become unstable, resetting over and over at boot time, or resetting when I choose scripts or cores. When this happens, I have pulled out the SD card, scanned on my PC (well, the FAT32 partition that it can see) and it found no errors. However, the resetting will continue. So, I grab a new SD card and do a full prep of it and then copy all the cores and ROMs back. Then it becomes stable again...

I reformat and scan the old card and it's fine...

Is it possible the other partitions are getting corrupted causing this?

I wonder if that has happened to others?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: SD card corruption?

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I've had the MiSTer suddenly not boot anymore, display stayed black but the IO board LEDs were still doing their glow effect. An error scan on my PC came up with lots of lost files.

I made a MiSTer Fusion install on another SD card and copied its contents over over the existing data on the non-booting card and everything worked again.

This could have been an update corrupting something, or a samba connection causing trouble. I've had files become non-deletable with samba.
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

Mine started up again pretty quick. I have the original power supply with an inline power switch.

I've now removed the inline power switch to see if that's what causes it.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I have a 5 amp power supply (probably a bit overkill) and also the inline power switch. I flattened the connector a bit though, to improve the connection, as it didn't work at all at first.