Vertical crop option greyed out [Solved]

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Vertical crop option greyed out [Solved]

Unread post by pgimeno »

I've been setting a core-specific option for the Spectrum core, to set vscale_mode=3 because using 1 caused the screen to be too small. Now I see that a new option was added to crop the screen, and I presume it's intended to crop a bit of the screen in order to make it fit in an exact multiple of a 1080p screen without so much size reduction.

So I've reverted to vscale_mode=1. However, when I go to the Audio & Video settings in the Spectrum core menu, the Vertical Crop option is set to No, and greyed out. Any idea why?

I've tried with the C64 core, which was updated at the same time, with the same result.

Core version is 20210216, Main version is 20210207. My display is HDMI 1920x1080, in case that matters.
Insert Disk Two

Re: Vertical crop option greyed out

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

Put vscale mode to 0.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm Put vscale mode to 0.
Thanks. When I do that, the vertical crop option is enabled, but when I set it to Yes, several lines of the drawable area of the screen also go missing. Is that the intended effect?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

That is what cropping means, cutting of part of an image. The idea is that you don't lose an important part of it and in return get an image that vertically fills the screen combined with integer scaling.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:31 pm That is what cropping means, cutting of part of an image. The idea is that you don't lose an important part of it and in return get an image that vertically fills the screen combined with integer scaling.
With integer scaling (vscale_mode=1), I get this on a 1920x1080 monitor:
Spectrum-screen.png
Spectrum-screen.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
When I first saw the description of the change:
Sorgelig wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:30 pm C64, ZX Spectrum:
- Vertical crop for integer scale on popular widescreen resolutions.
- Update framework.
I first thought that it would crop just a few border lines, in order to make a 4x zoom fit exactly within the vertical resolution. The snapshot is 568 pixels high, so I imagine that the vertical size is half that, i.e. 284px. By cropping it to 270px, you only lose 14 lines of border, and when using a multiplier of 4, the vertical size fits the 1080p resolution exactly. That's what I thought this change would do. However it's not cropping just border, but also drawable area.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

you need to disable scandoubler for better fit.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Indeed, it seems it couldn't use 3x because of the scandoubler, thanks!

It would still be nice to have an option to crop to 270 lines, so it could use 4x and fill the screen vertically.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

exactly 270 lines are used for 1080p mode.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Sorgelig wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 pm exactly 270 lines are used for 1080p mode.
With what settings? I have vscale_mode=1 and it does not cover the whole screen vertically.

Edit: Oh I see! I needed to set vscale_mode=0 and then activate the crop option in the Audio&Video options menu. The problem I had when I tried before was that I had forced_scandoubler set to 1 (I forgot I had that), and that caused a severe trim of the screen, including part of the drawable area.

Apparently, for the Spectrum core, with the trim option active, the correct screen aspect ratio for a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio (which gives the sharpest uniform pixels) is now 172:135. Without it, it was 86:71.
evilpaul13

Re: [Solved] Vertical crop option greyed out

Unread post by evilpaul13 »

I was wondering why the settings were grayed out and found this post. The 5x scaling w/ crop looks amazing! Thank you to all the people who made it happen!
kfreiberg

Re: [Solved] Vertical crop option greyed out

Unread post by kfreiberg »

Perhaps it may be a good idea if within the core menus a little line of text reminding people of the VSCALE_MODE=0 stipulation. I've seen several threads on here asking why the 5x options are disabled.