Stupid question: "Stereo Mix" option

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Shaneus

Stupid question: "Stereo Mix" option

Unread post by Shaneus »

I've come across this option in several cores, but still don't know exactly what it means (and I've searched everywhere for a definition). When it is set to "none", does that mean there's no stereo and it's only mono? Or does "none" mean that it doesn't mix either channel and they're both discrete ie. stereo?
SuperBabyHix

Re: Stupid question: "Stereo Mix" option

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

Your latter assumption is correct. None is unaltered stereo. Imagine none as LEFT and RIGHT are mixed as LEFT is fully left and RIGHT is fully right. 100% is LEFT and RIGHT are mixed fully in the center. Everything in between is some percentage of that mix. This is mostly helpful when using headphones, especially for cores like the Amiga where the sound channels were typically mixed hard left or right.
Shaneus

Re: Stupid question: "Stereo Mix" option

Unread post by Shaneus »

SuperBabyHix wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:55 am Your latter assumption is correct. None is unaltered stereo. Imagine none as LEFT and RIGHT are mixed as LEFT is fully left and RIGHT is fully right. 100% is LEFT and RIGHT are mixed fully in the center. Everything in between is some percentage of that mix. This is mostly helpful when using headphones, especially for cores like the Amiga where the sound channels were typically mixed hard left or right.
Thank you so much! I'd seen it mentioned in multiple products (not just MiSTer cores) so I'm glad to finally have a definitive answer. It was killing me!