To those of you who tried it, is the BlisSTer Board Worth it?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
darksakul

Re: To those of you who tried it, is the BlisSTer Board Worth it?

Unread post by darksakul »

dmckean wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:50 pm The daomonbite has a blob of proprietary firmware too.
The hell are you talking about. More people who don't research a topic before they speak on it. The whole Daemonbites project is open sourced, it used existing libraries and drivers, publicly available documentation on a very available and easy to find board. Anyone with the publicly available Arduino IDE a Micro SUB cable and a Arduino Pro Micro can make their own Daemonbites adapter.

Only thing that is closed off and propitiatory is the BlisSTer.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

dmckean wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:50 pm The daomonbite has a blob of proprietary firmware too. The whole LLAPI is proprietary is a very weak argument. Just use what works for you, the BlisSTer is a great product even if you never used LLAPI and always kept it in USB mode.
There is one thing saying it needs some firmware to get hardware working it is another thing to require a needlessly proprietary system that was designed to be proprietary and necessitates a full fork of the project just have the hardware and it still isn't fast enough to work with light guns or work directly with the system. like SNAC. I am sure it is fine if you are fully bought into the platform and have all the adapters but if you are going in new from scratch you aren't gaining much of anything than going the Daemonbite + Snac route
Fear is the mind killer!
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

darksakul wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:35 am Other than a NES style pad, a SNES, Sega 6 Button (Genesis or Saturn), a paddle/spinner, and a Controller with a Keypad, maybe an Arcade stick, what else would you need?
My controller collection is well beyond the "need" and shamelessly into the "want" / "beyond reason" at this stage. :lol:

I can think of:
- Playstation with analogue controls (e.g. JogCon)
- N64 (analogue stick)
- Gamecube (analogue sticks + analogue triggers)
- Intellivision and Colecovision (with number pad)
- Atari Jaguar
- Atari 5200
- Atari Paddles

Analogue controls are useful for computer cores, not just the original system.
But I guess most people won't care about older consoles or computers.

As for me, I like being able to pick up any old controller and throw it at my MiSTer / PC. But I'm probably the minority :)
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

redsteakraw wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:47 am LLAPI is proprietary and should not be relied upon since the code is not available who knows how long it will be supported and since it is non standard it needs to be separately maintained.
LLAPI is open source, there is an open hardware version of the adapter and of the protocol: https://github.com/bootsector/LLAMA
(I've built a couple, works great for NeoGeo controllers)

But yes, the Blisster firmware itself is proprietary if that bothers you.
-N2

Unread post by -N2 »

who has Blister adapter cables? I'm still looking for SNES and NEO GEO adapters.
Nuclear3D

Unread post by Nuclear3D »

selling my spare Snes adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/284382912013
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

dmckean wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:50 pm The daomonbite has a blob of proprietary firmware too.
It doesn't.

https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite ... ollers-USB

and

https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder

Both have the arduino firmware files there out in the open available for you. I bought a Daemonbite arcade encoder from MickGyver and reflashed the firmware with a simple modification to the code for my situation, and it worked just fine.

AFAIK, the only thing proprietary about the Daemonbite is his PCB design (which is optional, you can make a Daemonbite yourself without a PCB).
birdybro~
rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

We have SNES cables in stock. Lots of more including NeoGeo are coming this week.

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt