HDMI CEC and the MiSTer.

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
darksakul

HDMI CEC and the MiSTer.

Unread post by darksakul »

Here a topic I don't see come up too much but I felt it should be brought up more often in the MiSTer community.
The issues of HDMI CEC with the MiSTer and other devices like the ultra hdmi for the N64

Obviously if you solely use your MiSTer with analog video output, this does not apply to you.

It does applies to all of people who use their MiSTer with other HMDI enabled products with CEC capable HD displays or HDMI Switch with other devices that could use CEC.
Ever power on your MiSTer and your PS3 also decides to power on as well? That the kind of issue I am speaking of here.

What is CEC?
Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a feature of HDMI designed to control HDMI connected devices by using a single remote.
On paper this sounds like a great idea, having your HDTV Remote also operate your Bluray player, your Audio Receiver and related devices sounds like a good idea.

Here comes the problem, despite there been a set standard on paper no manufacture does CEC the same way.
What more confusing is every device manufacture calls CEC something different.

Here is are examples of what all the Trade names for CEC

1-Touch Play (Roku)
Anynet+ (Samsung)
Aquos Link (Sharp)
BRAVIA Link, BRAVIA Sync, Control for HDMI (Sony)
CE-Link, Regza Link (Toshiba)
E-link (AOC)
EasyLink (Philips)
Fun-Link (Funai, Sylvania, Emerson, Magnavox, Philips)
HDMI-CEC (Hitachi)
INlink (Insignia)
Kuro Link (Pioneer)
NetCommand for HDMI, Realink for HDMI (Mitsubishi)
RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo)
RuncoLink (Runco International)
SimpLink (LG)
T-Link (ITT, Thomson)
VIERA Link, HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync (Panasonic)
CEC (Vizio)

Now how do we fix the issues of CEC interference ?

Well their are a couple of ways

Turn off CEC at device.
vNlK0nU.jpeg
vNlK0nU.jpeg (694.39 KiB) Viewed 13149 times

The example here is how to turn off CEC on a CECH-2000 series PS3 (It's under the System Setting)
Other systems, devices and consoles have the CEC options listed elsewhere and can call it a number of different things.

Disable the CEC Pin (Pin # 13)
The solution here is to disable the CEC Pin to prevent CEC Interference
You can go the DIY route and remove the pin from a HDMI cable or use a HDMI CEC Less Adapter

inside_hdmi_cable.jpg
inside_hdmi_cable.jpg (76.57 KiB) Viewed 13149 times
Here the pinout of a HMDI plug

Some people use a Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter to break CEC communication.
Buying this adapter from a Brick and Mortar or directly from Lindy is fine, but beware on Amazon as they mixed a bad batch of adapters that Lindy tried to recall with good adapters.

Also Porkchops Express and Laser Bear are also working on their own HDMI Couplers with CEC blocking options.
There no much to say here at the time of writing as they both just announced development

https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status ... 9568599042

https://twitter.com/collingall/status/1 ... 8610162691
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
TomDeHugo

Re: HDMI CEC and the MiSTer.

Unread post by TomDeHugo »

CEC is great when it works but it’s super frustrating when it doesn’t. Thank you for pointing out a solution. The list of the various names from various manufacturers is helpful as well.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

You can also use these HDMI IR extenders, which are cheaper than the Lindy dongle:

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Control ... 071K24J22/

You basically set them to "IR" mode to disable the CEC pin.
TomDeHugo

Unread post by TomDeHugo »

Newsdee wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 am You can also use these HDMI IR extenders, which are cheaper than the Lindy dongle:

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Control ... -Receiver/

You basically set them to "IR" mode to disable the CEC pin.

Your Amazon link doesn't work. I believe at a minimum, you need the `/dp/AlphaNumericCode` part of the URL if you're removing all of the other tracking stuff.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

TomDeHugo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:07 am Your Amazon link doesn't work. I believe at a minimum, you need the `/dp/AlphaNumericCode` part of the URL if you're removing all of the other tracking stuff.
Thanks! Fixed.

While I'm at it, here is the Lindy CEC less dongle:
https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapt ... 00DL48KVI/
WiteWulf

Unread post by WiteWulf »

The CEC blocker adapters are essential if you're having ARC issues with your MiSTer and AV system. There's enough back-voltage from the TV to my MiSTer that, even with the PSU disconnected from the MiSTer, the MiSTer gets enough power to partially operate some components and messes up the ARC/HDMI signalling and somehow blocks audio from the TV to my soundbar. I had to physically disconnect the HDMI cable from my MiSTer whenever it wasn't in use until I got a CEC blocker.

FYI, my setup is the DE10-nano connected to an HDMI port on my LG B8, with a Sony soundbar (HT-RT5) connected to the ARC HDMI port on the TV.
Sqwrly

Unread post by Sqwrly »

WiteWulf wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 am The CEC blocker adapters are essential if you're having ARC issues with your MiSTer and AV system. There's enough back-voltage from the TV to my MiSTer that, even with the PSU disconnected from the MiSTer, the MiSTer gets enough power to partially operate some components and messes up the ARC/HDMI signalling and somehow blocks audio from the TV to my soundbar. I had to physically disconnect the HDMI cable from my MiSTer whenever it wasn't in use until I got a CEC blocker.

FYI, my setup is the DE10-nano connected to an HDMI port on my LG B8, with a Sony soundbar (HT-RT5) connected to the ARC HDMI port on the TV.
This is the exact issue I'm having with my LG CX and Vizio soundbar. Soundbar just stops working when the MiSTer is connected. What blocker did you use? The IR thing listed above?

Edit: I pulled out a spare HDMI cable and carefully disabled pin 13 on one end, problem solved.
darksakul

For me I just stuck a pick in to a HMDI extender and picked out the relevant pins for my MiSTer.
My PS3, as above I went in and shut off CEC in the menu but I found certain things on the Device chain will still activate my PS3.
So I got a CEC blocking Cable extension for that as well.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
darksakul

WiteWulf

Unread post by WiteWulf »

This is the blocker I used, out of stock at the moment unfortunately:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X3MJCX5
cacophony

Unread post by cacophony »

Here's what I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFL8TM8
It's unfortunately out of stock at the moment, but it was less than half the price of the Lindy adapter at only $8
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

Well this sucks royally.

I bought the Lindy CEC-less adapter hoping it would fix my problems, and it only made matters worse: When I use it, my TV no longer gets any signal from the MiSTer. What the actual fuck?

My MiSTer is connected to a 4-way HDMI switch, which then plugs into my AVR, which then connects to my TV. When I turn on the MiSTer with the Lindy adapter connected right into it, my HDMI switch lights up on that port indicating that it's live, but nothing seems to actually go through as my TV says there's no signal. When I remove the adapter, it all goes back to "normal".

So I'm back to square one (unplugging the MiSTer after each use) and now with $25 less in my pockets. Thanks, Obama.

Any other solutions?
Mellified

Unread post by Mellified »

It sounds like the Lindy may be bad. Try it with another device and see if it blocks video there as well.
darksakul

AtomicShroom wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:17 pm Well this sucks royally.

I bought the Lindy CEC-less adapter hoping it would fix my problems, and it only made matters worse: When I use it, my TV no longer gets any signal from the MiSTer. What the actual fuck?

My MiSTer is connected to a 4-way HDMI switch, which then plugs into my AVR, which then connects to my TV. When I turn on the MiSTer with the Lindy adapter connected right into it, my HDMI switch lights up on that port indicating that it's live, but nothing seems to actually go through as my TV says there's no signal. When I remove the adapter, it all goes back to "normal".

So I'm back to square one (unplugging the MiSTer after each use) and now with $25 less in my pockets. Thanks, Obama.

Any other solutions?
Taking a dental pick to a HDMI cable and prying out pin # 13.
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

MiSTer Addons has just started selling a CEC-less HDMI cable, although it's sold out at the moment.
dot-bob

Unread post by dot-bob »

Is CEC even wired up on the DE-10 nano? The schematics show the zero ohm series resistor on CEC as DNI and it isn't stuffed on my DE-10 nano. The only thing it shows it being wired two is U34 which is for ESD suppression.
darksakul

dot-bob wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 pm Is CEC even wired up on the DE-10 nano? The schematics show the zero ohm series resistor on CEC as DNI and it isn't stuffed on my DE-10 nano. The only thing it shows it being wired two is U34 which is for ESD suppression.
The De 10 Nano does interferes with other CEC devices. Prime example powering on the MiSTer will also Power on a CECH-2000 series PS3.
Enough people had issues with the DE 10, The Ultra HDMI Mod for the N64, and a few other devices

A Zero ohm resistor is pretty much just a jumper or bodge wire. SMD Zero Ohm Resistors exist to cheat an extra layer on to the PCB or provide an area to disable a trace without trace cutting.

Its enough of an issue that Porkchop Express (MiSTer Addons) and Greg Collingall (Laser Bear) are looking into their own CEC-less adapters.
misterious

Unread post by misterious »

My MiSTer is connected to a 4-way HDMI switch, which then plugs into my AVR, which then connects to my TV. When I turn on the MiSTer with the Lindy adapter connected right into it, my HDMI switch lights up on that port indicating that it's live, but nothing seems to actually go through as my TV says there's no signal.
I've a similar problem with a 3 way HDMI switch, if I connect the cable directly it works , with the switch everything works but the mister . Did you fix it? Tried cutting pin 13 but same result
AtomicShroom

misterious wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 pm

My MiSTer is connected to a 4-way HDMI switch, which then plugs into my AVR, which then connects to my TV. When I turn on the MiSTer with the Lindy adapter connected right into it, my HDMI switch lights up on that port indicating that it's live, but nothing seems to actually go through as my TV says there's no signal.
I've a similar problem with a 3 way HDMI switch, if I connect the cable directly it works , with the switch everything works but the mister . Did you fix it? Tried cutting pin 13 but same result
No luck unfortunately. What I ended up doing is connecting the MiSTer directly to the TV using the Lindy CEC-less adapter. I get a signal and everything works fine, and no CEC interference either. However due to CEC being disabled, my TV recognizes the MiSTer as a new device every single time I power it on and enters the "Attempting to detect device" screen which I have to exit manually every time, which is annoying as hell. Basically I have to pick my poison. I guess I'd rather have to exit this screen rather than constantly connecting/disconnecting the HDMI cable from my MiSTer and wearing out the port over time.
Mellified

AtomicShroom wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:59 pm No luck unfortunately. What I ended up doing is connecting the MiSTer directly to the TV using the Lindy CEC-less adapter. I get a signal and everything works fine, and no CEC interference either. However due to CEC being disabled, my TV recognizes the MiSTer as a new device every single time I power it on and enters the "Attempting to detect device" screen which I have to exit manually every time, which is annoying as hell. Basically I have to pick my poison. I guess I'd rather have to exit this screen rather than constantly connecting/disconnecting the HDMI cable from my MiSTer and wearing out the port over time.
That seems like something you should be able to disable in the TV settings.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Should yes!
In reality hell no!

CEC is made so all other units will obey the one and true unit that is screaming the loudest.
I reality? Your lucky if it works sometimes at all.
AtomicShroom

Mellified wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:25 am
AtomicShroom wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:59 pm No luck unfortunately. What I ended up doing is connecting the MiSTer directly to the TV using the Lindy CEC-less adapter. I get a signal and everything works fine, and no CEC interference either. However due to CEC being disabled, my TV recognizes the MiSTer as a new device every single time I power it on and enters the "Attempting to detect device" screen which I have to exit manually every time, which is annoying as hell. Basically I have to pick my poison. I guess I'd rather have to exit this screen rather than constantly connecting/disconnecting the HDMI cable from my MiSTer and wearing out the port over time.
That seems like something you should be able to disable in the TV settings.
If I disable CEC on my TV, it no longer sees my AVR. Unfortunately it can't be disabled on a per-port basis. It's all or nothing.
UKd00d

Unread post by UKd00d »

I’m so glad I’ve seen this thread, I’ve had intermittent issues with CEC and ARC working and not working, but it’s happened as I’ve upgraded the TV and then also upgrading my home cinema amp, while also moving the DE10 between my upstairs set up and downstairs intermittently. I was putting it down to a poor CEC implementation on the new amp or TV and it was driving me crazy. I would have never suspected the DE10 without the power cable plugged in was the root of the issue. I’ve just tested numerous times and everything always works perfectly with the DE10 HDMI unplugged and never works correctly when it’s HDMI cable is plugged in and the power to it is unplugged.
Mellified

AtomicShroom wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:39 pm If I disable CEC on my TV, it no longer sees my AVR. Unfortunately it can't be disabled on a per-port basis. It's all or nothing.
That's awful! You could try an HDMI switch in between the TV and MiSTer. Might fool the TV into thinking it's already detected what's on that HDMI port.
AtomicShroom

Mellified wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:54 pm
AtomicShroom wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:39 pm If I disable CEC on my TV, it no longer sees my AVR. Unfortunately it can't be disabled on a per-port basis. It's all or nothing.
That's awful! You could try an HDMI switch in between the TV and MiSTer. Might fool the TV into thinking it's already detected what's on that HDMI port.
Not sure what I did but for the moment my TV has stopped trying to recognize the MiSTer every time I power it on, so issue resolved for the moment. *fingers crossed*.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Don´t breathe to loud!
darksakul

AtomicShroom wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:00 am Not sure what I did but for the moment my TV has stopped trying to recognize the MiSTer every time I power it on, so issue resolved for the moment. *fingers crossed*.
Check your INI file
AtomicShroom

darksakul wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:47 am
AtomicShroom wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:00 am Not sure what I did but for the moment my TV has stopped trying to recognize the MiSTer every time I power it on, so issue resolved for the moment. *fingers crossed*.
Check your INI file
Either you read my post wrong or I didn't express myself correctly, but what I meant is that the problem is resolved. The TV no longer enters its "new device detection mode" when I turn on my MiSTer. It just starts up normally and shows up on screen immediately, as one would expect.